cbrunnem

Distinguished
i have a new SSD and i wanted to do a clean install. how do i migrate all my files without having to clone. is there an nice windows feature that will move all the documents? im guessing i will have to reinstall all my programs though.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
A clean install means you install from nothing. If you want to keep your your OS and installed apps, you can do so by cloning.

The problem with cloning a boot drive is that you have to pre-size it to be smaller than the available SSD after it is set as a boot drive. When I cloned my install of Win 7 on a HDD to a SSD I had to resize the partition (for a 128 GB SSD) to just under 119 GB fopr the cloning to work. By cloming I kept all of the settings on my OS, and installed apps on C: drive.

As most storage remains on the HDDs, I did not have to migrate any storage.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Its a 240 gig so size is not that big a deal but ill try windows easy transfer. I want to use a clean install cause the one i have now.has some problems like not wanting to install sp1 it has been 6 months and still will not do.it. Ccc will not open and my boot time is like three minutes. Something is messed up.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
ok guys need your help. first the SSD will not boot if i have it in IDE mode which from what i understand is not normal but boots just fine in AHCI mode.

2) which i want to figure out. i dont seem to see how to use windows easy transfer when both ssd and hdd are installed in the same computer nor do i know how to use it at all. is there any other options?

3) are my game files for BF3 on origin or my other hdd? how do i go about reinstalling bf3? do i need to uninstall it from my other hard drive?

cbrunnem

Distinguished

already started fresh and want to know if there is any software that will pull all documents from one hard drive to another within that same system.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

the drive is not external and as i have said above you i can not get it to work. the drive is internal.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

facepalm. i said i couldnt figure it out. it kept trying to get me to install it on another computer or something.