[SOLVED] How to migrate win10 to nvme when boot and system partitions are on different disks ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

automatik99

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2014
To all Genius level Techies:

When I installed win 10, somehow the boot and system ended up on different drives. I can't boot without both drives in the system. It took me awhile to figure this out.

The C drive (disk 3 below) has it's boot partition on drive D (disk 1 below)

I would like to migrate win10 onto an M.2 NVME (shown below as disk 4) but I can't use the migrate OS function in AOMEI due to the fact that those partitions are on different drives.

So I tried cloning the partitions individually, but it doesn't work. I've tried rebuilding the BCD, fixing the MBR and just about everything. Even switching to GPT. Is this impossible? What am I missing? I've thought about trying to move the system reserved partition from D to my C drive, and then migrating the OS, but i'm afraid of breaking my system.

Also, I've tried a clean install of Win10 onto the NVME and it works fine- i'd like to avoid a clean install since I fairly recently rebuilt my system and its a weeks worth of installs and config (i'm a pro audio guy)

Can anyone help me with this?

Disk Management Pic:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n7kYkXwYNf9haZRmFKtJ6T9lXhCLWKrK

BCD and Inaccessible boot device error pics:

Diskpart pics:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fEtY8E_VFOTIvKDlG6I4JZn6h7kj9LFZ

Thanks in advance.

Specs:

System Win10 ENT updated fully as of Apr 2020
Gigabyte x570 Gaming X MB fully updated
WD M.2 Nvme

Last edited:
Solution
Even in a perfectly configured system, going from SATA to NVMe can be problematic.

Try with Macrium.
Disconnect ALL drives except the 3 involved.
Drag the System Reserved to the new drive, then drag the C partition down.

See what happens.

If it fails...time to simply give up the clone thing and do a clean install on the new drive.
Chasing a failed/failing clone operation is often longer than just a new install.

USAFRet

Titan
Even in a perfectly configured system, going from SATA to NVMe can be problematic.

Try with Macrium.
Disconnect ALL drives except the 3 involved.
Drag the System Reserved to the new drive, then drag the C partition down.

See what happens.

If it fails...time to simply give up the clone thing and do a clean install on the new drive.
Chasing a failed/failing clone operation is often longer than just a new install.

Solution

automatik99

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2014
"If it fails...time to simply give up the clone thing and do a clean install on the new drive.
Chasing a failed/failing clone operation is often longer than just a new install."

Well, i may have to, but if you knew how much was installed on my system, and how weirdly configured it all is, with audio and gaming registry tweaks and optimizations, plus hundreds of audio plugins.......dear god it literally takes me a week to get it all done. if i can avoid it, by god, i will....thanks for the suggestions, it gives me a couple new ideas. anyone else?

USAFRet

Titan
"If it fails...time to simply give up the clone thing and do a clean install on the new drive.
Chasing a failed/failing clone operation is often longer than just a new install."

Well, i may have to, but if you knew how much was installed on my system, and how weirdly configured it all is, with audio and gaming registry tweaks and optimizations, plus hundreds of audio plugins.......dear god it literally takes me a week to get it all done. if i can avoid it, by god, i will....thanks for the suggestions, it gives me a couple new ideas. anyone else?
Yeah, I fully understand the already installed and configured stuff.
Trust me, I do.

Sometimes, though....

automatik99

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2014
Not giving up just yet, trying a couple more things.

The mystifying part is that after i clone/migrate, i get errors in all sorts of random combinations that disallow me from solving the problem. sometimes, bootrec /fixboot doesnt work, sometimes the windows installation cant be found, other times its an inaccessible boot device, so many different, and seemingly unsolvable errors.

Next I'm trying a clean install, then deleting the windows partition and cloning only that one.

If this doesnt work, then i will do the slow and painful process of a clean install.

unless someone has a suggestion.......!

Jul 23, 2021
have you tried to migrate the OS with Paragon hard disk manager ? and if you get some boot issues , you can solve it with (diskpart ) thing by fixing the boot

Status
Not open for further replies.