Question How to minimise CPU throttling?

Feb 27, 2021
i have a gaming laptop from acer. Laptop configuration CPU ( i5-8300h) GPU (GTX 1060 6GB). When I start gaming usually counter strike the laptop thermals sucks. CPU goes like 95-98 degree and CPU throttling starts and I face fps drops frequently. Someone suggested me undervolting my CPU and GPU. Is it safe?
IF it is suggest me some more alternative which I can do without compromising too much gaming performance.

Having had similar heat issues with my Dell G5 with a 9750h the only solution that really helped significantly was undervolting and reducing all core boost speed by a few hundred MHz. I did reduce temperatures a few degrees more by adding taller rubber feet to the laptop so it sits a few mm higher off the table.

The other thing you can do is use an FPS cap. Let’s say a particular game gives an average of 150fps before it overheats. Capping the FPS to say 120 can also help. It helps avoid significant FPS drop and gives a consistent as it helps avoid throttling.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021
Depending on age of laptop, the internal components may be covered in accumulated dust which would adversely affect cooling efficiency and lead to thermal throttling.

It's a possibility which needs investigating before trying anything else.
The laptop age is nearly 1.5 years and yes the dust adversely affects the cooling. I already gave it a shot as I performed laptop cleaning and re-applying the thermal paste.

Feb 27, 2021
Having had similar heat issues with my Dell G5 with a 9750h the only solution that really helped significantly was undervolting and reducing all core boost speed by a few hundred MHz. I did reduce temperatures a few degrees more by adding taller rubber feet to the laptop so it sits a few mm higher off the table.

The other thing you can do is use an FPS cap. Let’s say a particular game gives an average of 150fps before it overheats. Capping the FPS to say 120 can also help. It helps avoid significant FPS drop and gives a consistent as it helps avoid throttling.
I want to know 1 thing about undervolting that is it safe? and one more thing that can I goto the lowest undervolting voltage ? Like suppose my CPU can go up to -0.170V , so is it safe to undervolt it at -0.170V or I should try -0.150V?

USAFRet

Titan
I want to know 1 thing about undervolting that is it safe? and one more thing that can I goto the lowest undervolting voltage ? Like suppose my CPU can go up to -0.170V , so is it safe to undervolt it at -0.170V or I should try -0.150V?
Identify the problem before applying a solution.

If the "problem" is accumulated dust causing it to overheat, then after undervolting, there will still be too much dust in it.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Undervolting is safe, it’s safer than running a cpu that’s overheating.

I agree with USAFRet you should make sure the cooling is not impeded first.

I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
They are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. it means you have throttled.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.

Try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.

Feb 27, 2021
Identify the problem before applying a solution.

If the "problem" is accumulated dust causing it to overheat, then after undervolting, there will still be too much dust in it.
Undervolting is safe, it’s safer than running a cpu that’s overheating.

I agree with USAFRet you should make sure the cooling is not impeded first.

USAFRet and sizzling thank you for your suggestions but the thing is I have checked twice within past 3 months the cooling fans and also made sure they are thoroughly cleaned. I have also re-applied the thermal paste on CPU and GPU

Feb 27, 2021
I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
They are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. it means you have throttled.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.

Try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.
well I have undervolted my CPU and GPU but haven't tried changing the power profile

Well the fans are still loud around 4000 rpm and greater all the time. well now I am working and still, the thermals are around greater than 75 degrees. While gaming I haven't tried it actually because I undervolted it yesterday
Oh my Dell still sounds like a jet on take off but after a gaming session it now only peaks around 85c. Before it would hit 100c in no time at all.

Feb 27, 2021
Oh my Dell still sounds like a jet on take off but after a gaming session it now only peaks around 85c. Before it would hit 100c in no time at all.
I also tried disabling the "intel turbo boost" but the CPU still throttled. same here the temperatures go 99c in no time while gaming. I'll try gaming today and look on thermals. even if it go 90c I think it won't throttle