How to modify memory spd when it won't post

Jan 14, 2019
On mobile, I apologize for formatting issues

I just moved my rig from home to my dorm yesterday, and now it seems one of my sticks of memory won't even allow the computer to post, or at least boot into bios.

I tested this by using one stick of ram at a time and discovered that one stick works in both slots, while the other doesn't work in either.

All I know is that the post LEDs on my board (Strix z370-I) show that there is a dram issue when the "broken" stick is inserted.

The suspected issue I have with the module is about a corrupted spd due to the controlling of the rgb.
Now I have done some reading about rewriting the corrupted spd, but the issue now is getting the board to post with the faulty memory stick in. All the posts I have read did not have any information on how to get the board to post even with a faulty memory module in. It could be just that the stick died randomly, but I would have no idea how it would have happened, considering there has been no power surge or issues with the pc before. Also, if the stick was dead, wouldn't the computer at least be able to show only one of the two sticks?

Just to note, the pc was in perfect working condition prior to moving it. I have checked all possible issues with the graphics card, but not with the cpu due to limited space in my dorm. I highly doubt there is any issue with the cpu since it is mounted tightly with a Kraken x62.

Parts
Cpu: i7 8700k
Mobo: Asus strix z370i
Ram: 16gb (2x8) TridentZ RGB 3200

UPDATE: So I just got back to my dorm and just tried booting it up with both sticks in, and it somehow worked. I checked in BIOS and both sticks are detected. I have no idea what caused it to work this time. I have tried multiple times less than 24 hours ago, and nothing worked, but now it does. Thanks for the replies, everyone, but as long as this remains stable, I will not update this further.