How to monitor bandwidth usage of each pc/ip in a network

jithinraj

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
In my office all the office pc's are under domain (Server is Windows server 2008 r2) most of them are Windows 7 there are 2 pcs with Widows XP. Also there are laptops which are not under domain they are connected to network through wifi and the employs use office wifi to connect their mobile phones. So the thing is i want to monitor the bandwidth usage of each and every device connected to the network.

My network is like this

There are 2 ISP connections both are FTTH (NET1 & NET2)

ONU of NET1 is connected to WIFI modem

From WIFI modem it is connected to CISCO router

ONU of NET2 is connected directly to CISCO router

CISCO router is connected to 24 port switch

Another WIFI device is connected from switch (So there is 2 WIFI networks there W1 & W2)

So please provide a solution for this i have many network tools but i didint found a perfect solution for this.

Solution
The best solution is to setup a passive pass-by bandwidth monitoring program. The steps:
1. Setup a mirroring port in your switch or router.
2. Install WFilter pass-by filtering program in a pc.
3. Connect the WFilter pc to the mirroring port.
4. Done. Now you're able to monitor and filter all clients in your network.

Bruce Geng

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
The best solution is to setup a passive pass-by bandwidth monitoring program. The steps:
1. Setup a mirroring port in your switch or router.
2. Install WFilter pass-by filtering program in a pc.
3. Connect the WFilter pc to the mirroring port.
4. Done. Now you're able to monitor and filter all clients in your network.

Solution
You can only monitor traffic on a Mirrored port not anything else, you get to see traffic but it isn't passing through the port. You could have a dual WAN firewall which will monitor traffic but also allow you to restrict it in numerous different ways. Pfsense is a great tool for this. Multi wan and multi lan.

jithinraj

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016

Can i use it with in my existing network or i have to buy new hardware like any firewall ?

You would need to buy a purpose built box try Alix boards (google it) with 3 interfaces which you could make work in this setup but you would also need a layer 3 managed switch for vlans. You could have an interface per net but you would need to build your firewall, using an old pc works well, just drop in as many NICS as you need, intel ones are all compatible. The business end (Pfsense) is a free BSD distro, easy to set up and has some great features that you might find useful.

Have a look at this review (its not me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfZPOO2nu5g

jithinraj

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016

Thank you WFilter is working fine, i have installed WFilter in server pc.