How to move array to new RAID controller

CountryBumkin

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Is there a way to move my RAID 5 three disk array from my current MB based controller (ICH10R) to a hardware/card RAID controller without losing the data?

I know I can not expand my existing array, and I was also concerned that if my MB failed I wouldn't be able to save my array (data) unless I was get the same MB/controller. Therefore, I decided to start over with a hardware "card" RAID setup rather than MB RAID solution.

My OS is Vista64 and it is on a separate drive.

I now have 3 1TB drives in a RAID 5, which is full. I just bought a fourth drive (Seagate ES.2 1TB) and new controller (3Ware 9650SE).

My question is, how can I move my RAID to the new controller without losing the data? (I don't have a source to backup to). My data is about 200 DVD movies and perhaps 20 Blu-Ray movies (and growing).

Can I install the new 3Ware card with one empty/new drive, then add one of the existing drives and create a RAID 0 (saving the data (parity)), then add the second and/or third drives, and then convert everything to a RAID5? Will this save me from having to re-rip my entire movie collection?

Thanks.

snootch

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
Someone may correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe that you can only do this if the new RAID card uses the same chipset as your motherboard does, which is unlikely. Unfortunately, I think you are going to have to either backup the data you have somewhere then make the hardware changes & download from your backup, or leave the setup you have and build another RAID setup on another machine with the RAID card and drives installed, and transfer the data, then wipe & sell the old machine.

snootch

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
EDIT: **for some reason I can't edit my own comment***

Someone may correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe that you can only do this if the new RAID card uses the same chipset as your motherboard does, which in your case with the 3ware card they are not. Unfortunately, I think you are going to have to either backup the data you have somewhere then make the hardware changes & download from your backup. What I would do if I were you is:

- Buy three more 1TB Seagate disks (you are going to expand later anyway) and put them in an external ESATA enclosure (no RAID)
- Backup your current machine to the 3TB ESATA external drives.
- Wipe your current RAID array.
- Install the 3ware card and install all 4 disks you have right now, and initialize array.
- Transfer your data from the ESATA external to the 3ware array on your machine.
- Wipe the ESATA external
- Expand the 3ware array with the disks out of the ESATA external enclosure.

Going to a hardware card is a good move, since with your 3ware you can expand the array to include even more disks at a later time. Hope this helps you out.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
^i dont need to correct you because your spot on...

RAID is implemented by manufacturers differently so they are generally not able to be used across hardware.

dt

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
hmm looks rough buddy.
steps:
1. get 2x1TB drives
2. copy raid 5 to those 2x1TB drives
3. ???
4. make your 4x1TB raid 5 array.
5. profit =D