How to move certain files to another disk while creating shortcuts to them?

Dolphin975

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Hi,

I have all my pictures and videos on a 1TB SSD, which is now almost full.

It's organized in folders in this way:

SSD

2016-12 folder

121.jpg

232.mp4

and so on, each folder refers to a month and it contains pictures and videos.

I would like to move all the videos to a HDD to free up space on the SSD.

Is there a way (via Windows prompts command or via a program) to move all videos to the HDD while creating the same tree structure and while creating a shortcut to each video in the SSD?

I would like to have this:

SSD

2016-12

121.jpg

232.mp4.lnk

HDD

2016-12

232.mp4

Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Matt

Solution
You can make shortcuts to folders, not just files. If your problem is that some program is refusing to traverse a shortcut as if it's an actual file or directory tree, you can make a hard link using the mklink command.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

If you use mklink /j to create a directory junction, it creates what looks like a directory on your C: drive, but is actually a hard link to a directory on your D: drive. Any program will think it's reading files in that directory off the C: drive, while Windows is (unknown to the program) retrieving the file from the D: drive.

I prefer not to move my "My Pictures", "My Videos", "My Documents" default folders as...
You can make shortcuts to folders, not just files. If your problem is that some program is refusing to traverse a shortcut as if it's an actual file or directory tree, you can make a hard link using the mklink command.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

If you use mklink /j to create a directory junction, it creates what looks like a directory on your C: drive, but is actually a hard link to a directory on your D: drive. Any program will think it's reading files in that directory off the C: drive, while Windows is (unknown to the program) retrieving the file from the D: drive.

I prefer not to move my "My Pictures", "My Videos", "My Documents" default folders as suggested above because Windows can do some crazy things if these are on your D: drive and the D: drive happens to die. (Mostly it's a problem if you move your "My Desktop" folder, but I've seen problems caused by moving these other folders too.)

Solution