Question How to move everything from one HDD to another?

Jun 21, 2022
Hello everyone! I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro on a new SSD and then deleted the Windows that was on my old 1 TB HDD. I have most of my files and data on that old drive, and I wanted to move it all to another 2 TB HDD I recently installed in my PC, since I've had the 1 TB HDD for quite a long time and I don't want it dying on me while everything is on it. Does anyone know of some good cloning software or methods of transferring everything over to my other HDD? I appreciate any and all input! I've heard of Macrium reflect and Aomei backupper as some good options but I'm not sure which to chose, I'm guessing it's subjective for the most part.

Jun 21, 2022
Cloning is only really necessary for moving OS installs from one drive to another. If you're moving data, just copy and paste it normally. If you want something better than that, you can use robocopy from the command line or Teracopy.
Ahhhh I see gotcha, so what's this robocopy and Teracopy all about then? I'll probably just copy and paste everything over if it's that simple, but just want to make sure. Also I discovered something else, when I go to manage my storage devices it doesn't accurately, or at all, show any of my installed apps or anything on my other drives. I'm assuming it has something to do with me reinstalling windows on another drive, any idea what that is?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Ahhhh I see gotcha, so what's this robocopy and Teracopy all about then? I'll probably just copy and paste everything over if it's that simple, but just want to make sure. Also I discovered something else, when I go to manage my storage devices it doesn't accurately, or at all, show any of my installed apps or anything on my other drives. I'm assuming it has something to do with me reinstalling windows on another drive, any idea what that is?
You cannot move applications from your old drive and OS to the new one.

Also I discovered something else, when I go to manage my storage devices it doesn't accurately, or at all, show any of my installed apps or anything on my other drives. I'm assuming it has something to do with me reinstalling windows on another drive, any idea what that is?
Yes, because those applications didn't go through the install process, Windows isn't aware of their existence in that regard.

You may be able to simply run them where they are without needing to install them. I've got a lot of apps that are typically installed that got orphaned, for lack of a better word, and they don't seem to care. If you need something to determine what's taking up space more easily, use https://windirstat.net/

Jun 21, 2022
Yes, because those applications didn't go through the install process, Windows isn't aware of their existence in that regard.

You may be able to simply run them where they are without needing to install them. I've got a lot of apps that are typically installed that got orphaned, for lack of a better word, and they don't seem to care. If you need something to determine what's taking up space more easily, use https://windirstat.net/
Ahhhh I see, thanks for the info I had a feeling it was something like Windows not recognizing where things are. Is there any way I can make Windows see what's on my other drives in the settings without having to go through all the apps I have for them to pop up? I've even gone through some files and opened some apps and while they work fine, nothing registers. I will try using windirstat though thanks for that! A friend of mine actually recommended I used that last night!