News How to Move From Twitter to Mastodon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Integr8d

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Really hope TH steers clear of politically-motivated articles (and in this case, how-to’s).

And let’s not pretend that this in anything other than that.

Reactions: Why_Me

cyrusfox

Distinguished
We should all cheer on parallel systems that provide additional options to communicate. but yes this does appear to be those against Elon's direction time to try to leave and make their own space outside mainstream applications. Twitters past policies birthed a host of other copied platforms (Truth social, GETTR, Parlor, etc...).

Until there is a prominent decentralized censorship free option (Something akin to Odysee/LBRY), they are all the same. Subject to rule and regulation of multiple countries.

Reactions: Why_Me

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
I like Mastodon, it's pretty easy to use.

Only weird thing is that when I want to follow someone, and that person is on a different "instance" than mine, I have to copy / paste their Mastodon handle in my instance to follow them. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Not a big deal though.

Other than that, I like Mastodon. It's less hectic than Twitter.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Really hope TH steers clear of politically-motivated articles (and in this case, how-to’s).

And let’s not pretend that this in anything other than that.

Let me be clear for everyone in the room. Twitter is a hot topic right now and a LOT of people are unhappy with the direction it is in. A lot of people are looking for alternative platforms and Mastodon seems as if its the most prevalent. It would be a breach of Tom's duty as a tech journalism site to NOT report on this situation, and in discussing this move it is about as technical as possible. There is no discussion here of Twitters owner, or any other things that may be deemed political. Should you be unable to understand this, that is your issue not the sites.

This is yours and everyone elses warning, we are actively monitoring these comments and should they turn political or into a flame war they will be deleted, and should you continue, you will be banned.

Let me be clear for everyone in the room. Twitter is a hot topic right now and a LOT of people are unhappy with the direction it is in. A lot of people are looking for alternative platforms and Mastodon seems as if its the most prevalent. It would be a breach of Tom's duty as a tech journalism site to NOT report on this situation, and in discussing this move it is about as technical as possible. There is no discussion here of Twitters owner, or any other things that may be deemed political. Should you be unable to understand this, that is your issue not the sites.

This is yours and everyone elses warning, we are actively monitoring these comments and should they turn political or into a flame war they will be deleted, and should you continue, you will be banned.
instead of threatening posters on here how about explaining the bolded part of your post.

Reactions: cyrusfox

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
instead of threatening posters on here how about explaining the bolded part of your post.

If you need me to explain what I wrote you clearly have not been watching any news on the topic. Needless to say I am here to moderate not comment on that statement any further or I would be breaking our own rules. That statement was about as agnostic as I can get, stating the obvious which is clear to anyone watching current events or twitter itself, contextualizing the topic at hand and the unfounded accusations that have been levied so far.

And no it was not a threat, it was a promise to do my job and uphold the rules of decorum on this site. if you don't like it you can feel free to reserve your comments to yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.