Question how to move old system c:\ drive to new build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2023
How can I move/clone/whatever my old C:\ windows drive to a brand new PC? Was told I could just physically put it in the new machine, boot up, then fix the drivers. I put it in the new PC, power up, I go to boot options, there are no options shown? My old machine is pretty old, it started as a Windows 7 machine that was later upgraded to Windows 10. Drive is a 2.5" Samsung SSD.

Probably some step I need to do but I don't know what it is. New machine is ASUS Prime Z790-A wifi. I really need to find a way to get the old drive (or a duplicate) to the new machine to avoid many hours wasted re-installing tons of programs if I start from scratch with a fresh Windows install. I don't mind how many hoops I have to go through as long as I don't have to start with a new Windows installation where I have to reinstall every single piece of software. I'll buy a new SSD, I'll buy another copy of Windows 10 (if one can be found), whatever. I just can't bear to spend time I don't have reinstallng everything if I could even find all the media.

I tried physically putting the SSD from the old machine into the new PC to see if Samsung Magician would work if I got a new SSD and cloned the drive, but when it didn't work at all with the old drive on the new PC, I was stuck. I put the old computer's C: drive into the new computer, the UEFI doesn't show me any options to choose a boot disk.

I know I've read that this can be done. Thanks for any pointers you can offer.

Sure you don't have to reinstall Windows for each motherboard replacement.

Just plug the old C drive on the new motherboard and Windows should boot then install the drivers itself.

So take a breath and dig deeper into your UEFI Bios to see how to select a boot drive.

Reactions: sitehostplus

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Unfortunately, it can't be done well. It may work, it may not and if it doesn't, it may not work at all or you'll be chasing down bugs for months. Windows is not intended to be used as a modular OS in this manner. Windows 10 does a better job at making up for it when people cut corners, but it's extremely far from perfect.

What are these applications? It's been a long time since installation media was an actual thing. Steam games don't need to be individually reinstalled; you can just reinstall Steam on the new drive and point it to existing Steam directories. Most executables to install applications can be held in a folder when you need to install. A wipe-and-reinstall is a very basic maintenance function and you need to be prepared to do it; it's like saying you have a smoke detector with a battery you can't change or a furnace with a filter you can't change! The longer you put off doing things correctly, the harder it will be to ever do so.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
How can I move/clone/whatever my old C:\ windows drive to a brand new PC? Was told I could just physically put it in the new machine, boot up, then fix the drivers. I put it in the new PC, power up, I go to boot options, there are no options shown? My old machine is pretty old, it started as a Windows 7 machine that was later upgraded to Windows 10. Drive is a 2.5" Samsung SSD.

Probably some step I need to do but I don't know what it is. New machine is ASUS Prime Z790-A wifi. I really need to find a way to get the old drive (or a duplicate) to the new machine to avoid many hours wasted re-installing tons of programs if I start from scratch with a fresh Windows install. I don't mind how many hoops I have to go through as long as I don't have to start with a new Windows installation where I have to reinstall every single piece of software. I'll buy a new SSD, I'll buy another copy of Windows 10 (if one can be found), whatever. I just can't bear to spend time I don't have reinstallng everything if I could even find all the media.

I tried physically putting the SSD from the old machine into the new PC to see if Samsung Magician would work if I got a new SSD and cloned the drive, but when it didn't work at all with the old drive on the new PC, I was stuck. I put the old computer's C: drive into the new computer, the UEFI doesn't show me any options to choose a boot disk.

Your going to be better off doing it the right way Fresh install.

Jun 17, 2023
The reason a fresh install needs to be the last resort is I have about $5000 of engineering software on the PC that I have no media for (got lost in a move, thank you so much you no-name Moving & Storage company) and if I start fresh I will lose it. So almost any amount of effort is worth trying. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but I have to try.

The reason a fresh install needs to be the last resort is I have about $5000 of engineering software on the PC that I have no media for (got lost in a move, thank you so much you no-name Moving & Storage company) and if I start fresh I will lose it. So almost any amount of effort is worth trying. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but I have to try.

There are certain applications that will supposedly assist you in adapting to new hardware.

Never used them; can't vouch for them.

But they might be worth a look considering you are in a rather desperate situation.

USAFRet

Titan
Sure you don't have to reinstall Windows for each motherboard replacement.

Just plug the old C drive on the new motherboard and Windows should boot then install the drivers itself.

So take a breath and dig deeper into your UEFI Bios to see how to select a boot drive.
hahahahha...
breathe....
hahahahaha

You're assuming that works correctly for every motherboard swap?
And the OS will simply boot up in the new hardware?

I'm not sure how I can fully express how wrong that is.

Reactions: Corwin65
The further apart the hardware the less likely it is to work. Going from AMD to Intel (or the reverse) is pretty much guaranteed not to work in the vast majority of cases. In addition, any piracy protection built into that $5000 software is absolutely going to trigger on such a move.

USAFRet

Titan
Contact that software company.

What would you do if your current hard drive died right now?

Did you read this?

Thanks for your suggestion, I will be able to try that tomorrow.

In the mean time I will throw another link that I found quite useful.

So if your old computer has legacy Bios, what you want to do now is to convert your MBR drive to GPT drive.

Please make sure that you have a cloned system disk before trying.

Cost of doing business.

You have a business that relies on some software, safeguard the installation media. Be prepared for failures.

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and upgrade or buy new software. Most of us have.

Contact the company you bought it from.

I tried physically putting the SSD from the old machine into the new PC to see if Samsung Magician would work if I got a new SSD and cloned the drive, but when it didn't work at all with the old drive on the new PC, I was stuck.
With those kind of experiments use only cloned drive.
If you experiment original drive from old pc, then you may mess it up and make unbootable.

You need to make sure certain settings in BIOS are properly set up.
1. Intel RST off,
2. Sata controller in AHCI mode,
3. CSM on,
4. Fast boot off, Secure boot off.

I put the old computer's C: drive into the new computer, the UEFI doesn't show me any options to choose a boot disk.
If windows on old pc was installed in legacy/MBR mode, then it is not UEFI bootable.
In UEFI mode only UEFI bootable drives are shown in boot order list.
Enable CSM. Then all drives will appear in boot order list. Even non-bootable drives will appear there.

Reactions: Richj444
Status
Not open for further replies.