[SOLVED] How to move OS on SSD

Hi,im getting a new 128gb ssd to replace my 1tb hdd for windows and boot.Simply put:
-1tb hdd only for games
-128gb ssd for boot and windows

how do i set this up?
Do i need to completely reinstall windows to a ssd?
Do i change something in BOIS

What do i do?

Solution
What do you use this system for? Gaming only?

No other installed applications besides Windows? Not counting browsers of course. You don't have any other applications installed that take up space?

You will of course need to install your launchers and such on there, and since you are using up about 86GB now and Windows update requires another ~20GB of free space each time it does a major update, you'll be using up so much of your drive that there won't be a lot of space left for overprovisioning, eventual bad cells or installing applications.

Yes, it can work, but it's not an optimal solution. A 250GB or higher SSD would make a lot more sense, and would likely have much better performance since practically all 128GB SSDs are old designs.

USAFRet

Titan
You can't move "only the OS".

How much space is consumed on your current 1TB. If over 80GB (and it almost certainly is)...a clean install on the new SSD is needed.

And a 128GB drive is not really a good idea. That is right on the edge of TooSmall.
250GB or larger.

A 1TB SATA III drive can be had for around $100US.

Reinstalling Windows would be the PREFERRED method, if you want it to be right, and not have any issues afterwards.

But, if you MUST clone the installation, you can do so using USAFRet's method seen here:

However, cloning is probably not an option going from a 1TB drive to a 128GB SSD unless you get rid of pretty much everything on the drive by uninstalling it until you are down to only the OS, and if you do that, you might just as well do a clean install.

I agree as well that 128GB is probably too small these days, even with a clean install, even with another drive for game files. Besides which, you REALLY need another drive as well, in addition to the HDD you already have, whether internal or external, to back up the data on both these drives to so that when they fail, and they will (Whether sooner or later), you don't lose all your game and personal files.

The easiest way to move Windows 10 (or any other OS) onto an SSD is by using a cloning tool. This takes everything on the old drive and copies onto the new one
You can't move "only the OS".

How much space is consumed on your current 1TB. If over 80GB (and it almost certainly is)...a clean install on the new SSD is needed.

And a 128GB drive is not really a good idea. That is right on the edge of TooSmall.
250GB or larger.

A 1TB SATA III drive can be had for around $100US.
ok so on Local Disk:C (where windows is located) i have a total of 206gb free of 291gb of total space.Also on local disk C i have Steam,origin and ussually programs,no games are found on local disk C.
On Local Disk: D there is 436gb free of 638gb total.
After all these replies im considering a fresh reinstall of windows,you know a fresh start.As much as i can see windows 10 pro 64-bit (which i have) takes up to 40gb of storage,so i dont quite understand why 128gb ssd is small for only windows.

Edit:I also have 220-230euros to spend which i plan to spend on:
i7-3770+cooler for it (110euros total)
-redragon k552 kumara+headset (90$)
-and a ssd

Ill try to finesse my parents on giving me 30-40 euros for that 250gb,because i agree with you.

Theres more of room for storing only programs and windows on 250gb ssd,than a 128gb

thanks for the advice :)

Last edited:
Reinstalling Windows would be the PREFERRED method, if you want it to be right, and not have any issues afterwards.

But, if you MUST clone the installation, you can do so using USAFRet's method seen here:

However, cloning is probably not an option going from a 1TB drive to a 128GB SSD unless you get rid of pretty much everything on the drive by uninstalling it until you are down to only the OS, and if you do that, you might just as well do a clean install.

I agree as well that 128GB is probably too small these days, even with a clean install, even with another drive for game files. Besides which, you REALLY need another drive as well, in addition to the HDD you already have, whether internal or external, to back up the data on both these drives to so that when they fail, and they will (Whether sooner or later), you don't lose all your game and personal files.
im considering doing a fresh install,thanks for the advice :)

No other installed applications besides Windows? Not counting browsers of course. You don't have any other applications installed that take up space?

You will of course need to install your launchers and such on there, and since you are using up about 86GB now and Windows update requires another ~20GB of free space each time it does a major update, you'll be using up so much of your drive that there won't be a lot of space left for overprovisioning, eventual bad cells or installing applications.

Yes, it can work, but it's not an optimal solution. A 250GB or higher SSD would make a lot more sense, and would likely have much better performance since practically all 128GB SSDs are old designs.

Solution

ok now i fully understand why 250gb ssd's are prefered over 128gb ones.
yes i will use it only for windows and programs
yes i use my pc for gaming (mostly),and some school work if needed

Thanks for the advice :)

USAFRet

Titan
After all these replies im considering a fresh reinstall of windows,you know a fresh start.As much as i can see windows 10 pro 64-bit (which i have) takes up to 40gb of storage,so i dont quite understand why 128gb ssd is small for only windows.
Because its never "only windows".

Windows, pagefile, temp files, all those small utilities...it adds up.
We're just speaking from experience. We see people here every single day with a drive that size, and wondering why its not working.

Can it be done? Yes. But you'll spend far more time in space management that you should.

Reactions: Dj0gany
If you follow my guide, it should automatically boot from the SSD when completed. Be SURE to disconnect ALL other drives except the drive you are installing FROM and the drive you are installing TO, before installing. So disconnect the HDD before you begin installing to the SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
Also how do i set it so that my pc boots from ssd,not hdd?
Or does that even need to be changed,i mean is it just automatic?
You install on the SSD with ONLY the SSD connected.

After, ideally you copy anything personal from the old drive to somewhere else, and wipe that drive clean.
Then, use as desired.

You install on the SSD with ONLY the SSD connected.

After, ideally you copy anything personal from the old drive to somewhere else, and wipe that drive clean.
Then, use as desired.
thanks man,appreciate it :)