[SOLVED] How to move SSD with upgraded windows 7 licence to new PC build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2020
I am building a new PC from new parts, except for the SSD on which my current Windows 10 is installed. It was upgraded from a retail copy of windows 7. I would like to migrate the OS (together with the SSD) to my new build; if it doesn't run smoothly, I might clean install windows afterwards.

What is the most painless way to transfer my old licence and SSD to the new build? Would you recommend clean install anyway?

Note, I have a second SSD for possible shenanigans and switcheroos.

thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
There are 3 possibilities here:

1. Transfer the drive, boot, let Windows do what it needs to do and there are no issues.
  2. Transfer the drive, boot, let Windows do what it needs to do and let the games begin (crashes, blue screens, no end of issues)
  3. Transfer the drive, attempt to boot and fail every single time.

#1 being the least likely. Most likely is a mix of #2 & #3.

A clean reinstallation of Windows, followed by your software and backed up data is always the best course of action.
There are 3 possibilities here:

1. Transfer the drive, boot, let Windows do what it needs to do and there are no issues.
  2. Transfer the drive, boot, let Windows do what it needs to do and let the games begin (crashes, blue screens, no end of issues)
  3. Transfer the drive, attempt to boot and fail every single time.

#1 being the least likely. Most likely is a mix of #2 & #3.

A clean reinstallation of Windows, followed by your software and backed up data is always the best course of action.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.