How to move Steam program(without games) from HDD to SSD

Sameer25

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
hi i am getting a ssd for the first time and i want to know if there is a ways i could move steam(the program it self) and selected games (not all) to the new ssd without uninstalling the program and reinstalling it because i have some games family shared and if i uninstall and reinstall its a pain to do that again.

Solution

everyone has told you no, or don't know to that part of the question. I've stated earlier that leaving it where it is will not impact performance.
Hey there, Sameer25.

I've checked out this tutorial: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129. I know it's not exactly what you need but you could try moving the steam installation while setting the path for your games from Steam's setting to the folder that's currently used for your Steam games, to see if that would work. However from the tutorial it seems like the SteamApp folder needs to be in the Steam installation folder in order for everything to work properly, but I think the above suggestion might work, since I have my Steam games installed on a different partition and folder.

You could also contact Steam's customer support for more info.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Actually you can do that. Go to the steam folder, delete EVERYTHING BUT the steam.exe and steamApps folder. Steam.exe is the program exe, steamApps is the folder which contains your game. When you delete everything, move those two (steam.exe + steamApps) to a new location (wherever you want them to be) and run Steam.exe. It will automatically download every steam file and setup the games for you.

slingsrat

Honorable
May 31, 2016

He only wants to move selected games (not all)

Sameer25

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
So you guys are telling me there is no way of moving steam and not really worth it so can I just move the games without deleting and redownloading them.of I uninstall and reinstall steam is there a way I could keep all the data like saved PC,family share games and other

Those settings may or may not survive an uninstall.

moving games is easy those, create a new library where ever you want that to be, and either backup and restore to the new library, or just move the files and have steam check the content.

You could try installing steam in the new location without uninstalling it, but the subsequent uninstall will cause problems.

slingsrat

Honorable
May 31, 2016

You can easily backup your Steam games using Steam's backup function to save you downloading them again. Most Steam games will keep the save games in your My Documents folder so just save everything from in there.

Sameer25

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
i just want to save to the steam settings like my pc, family sharing on my pc, and my games. i dont care how i move steam whether it being uninstalling or moving. is there anyway i could do that

everyone has told you no, or don't know to that part of the question. I've stated earlier that leaving it where it is will not impact performance.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS