News How to Move the Taskbar to the Top in Windows 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Thanks! Guide works as advertised. There was an earlier guide on another site that doesn't work--because he left out the last step in your guide dealing with stopping explorer...! I was left thinking the guy was maybe using the "leaked" W11 build instead of 22000.51/65. But that wasn't it. His guide was incomplete, unlike yours. I don't know how his worked because following his steps multiple times it didn't work for me, unlike yours!

I found out when I accidentally killed exlporer.exe instead of simply stopping it, that I could ctrl-alt-del and then simply sign out and sign back in that it worked as well. Key seems to be stopping/killing explorer.exe after making the registry change, else a simple reboot will not effect the change. Thanks again!

Jul 28, 2021
I personally like it to be vertical on the right side of the screen and have placed it there for years because it gives more screen real estate, but this does not work with this fix. Entering the number "02" instead of "01" puts it in the right place but with no bar icons, plus it seems to want to refresh every few seconds. I'm with others hoping they mimic the old behavior.

priyanphoenix

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
After applying the registry change, hovering over application icons no longer showed previews/hover controls. I suspect it may be that they are continuing to appear above the taskbar, so are now off-screen. Is that an expected limitation with this registry hack?

Aug 20, 2021
After applying the registry change, hovering over application icons no longer showed previews/hover controls. I suspect it may be that they are continuing to appear above the taskbar, so are now off-screen. Is that an expected limitation with this registry hack?

Yes, I have the same issue, it is annoying.
I hope it will be fixed soon.

Sep 26, 2021
After changing the registry it worked fine for me to have the taskbar on top - aside from one issue. I autohide my taskbar usually - and since I changed the registry, I can't access the taskbar on the second screen anymore, it works fine on the first screen. Tried reverting the changes and set all values to 03 again - as for the second screen the issue still exists.

Oct 8, 2021
Unfortunately I am unable to change it back by reverting the reg keys... Anybody any idea to reset this? The missing previews are really limiting the way you can use Windows...

Nov 1, 2021
Can someone help, i did this and now all of my taskbars on both monitors are gone, my background is white and i can't access settings or the start menu

Dec 5, 2021
Thank you all.
However, I need my Windows 11 taskbar on the left, rather than the top, like I had it in Windows 10. The jetspiking's Taskbar11 only offer the top vs. bottom. Is there a workaround for that?

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Avram...bad news...Win 11 build 22533.1000 Microsoft just made available (yesterday) kills all previous hacks related to moving the taskbar to the top of the screen--at least, all the ones I know about, which is yours and Taskbar11. Maybe you could take a look at it? Thanks in advance!

May 9, 2022
Worked perfectly on 1 monitor for me. The issues I had (and would love to find a solution for) are:
  1. There was no 2nd registry entry for my 2nd monitor. So that taskbar remained at the bottom
  2. Multiple windows of the same application broke the navigation and I could only get to them using Alt +Tab. Most affected is Outlook and open emails.
Anybody found solutions for these?

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
I cured it all by using StartALLBack, it's much better than any of the others I've tried. It's only $4.99, and well worth it. He's updated and upgraded the program continuously...works great with Win11 build 22616.1 and earlier! A shame that Microsoft won't fix the taskbar and I had to spend five dollars to find an answer for something that worked fine in Win10, but I'm just delighted it works so well. My desktop looks great these days--highly recommended.

As to how well it handles multiple monitors, I don't know. Traded my monitors in on a 43" 4k beauty, and will never go back...;) Hope you find what you're looking for!

Reactions: tithij

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
There is no workaround that I know of. StartAllBack is the only way to do it. Win11 22621.100 is fine with this utility. It's the only one in which the developer is keeping up with the Insider builds in the Dev/Beta & Preview channel. I thought I had already posted this helpful info here twice already, but I guess not. I wish people could be bothered to read the thread. BTW, I don't get anything out of this recommendation--it's my experience that this is the only way to go if you want to move the Taskbar. None of the workarounds I used to use early on work any longer. Just passing it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.