Question How to move Windows 10 to SSD?

Koppara

Reputable
Mar 17, 2016
Hey,
I currently have a 1TB HDD, and I got a new 128gb SSD. I want to move the Windows to the SSD, without having to wipe all the data from the HDD, but as I'm using more than 500GB in the HDD, is this possible? I have seen a program as EaseUS that claims that it can move just the Windows, so the pictures and games etc. stay in the HDD. Is this reliable, or how should I do this? I want the Win10 to SSD to make boot times faster and overall snappier.

Thank you!

USAFRet

Titan
If EaseUS claims that it will move "just Windows", either they are lying or you're reading it wrong.
It doesn't work like that.

With todays prices, buying a new 128GB SSD was a bad move. Too small and very much not value for $$.
What make/model is this drive? The better quality drives don't even come in that size anymore.

For this to be remotely possible, we need a good read on exactly what is on your drive.
Install either WinDirStat or WizTree
Run as Administrator, selecting only the drive in question.

Post a screencap here.

But with over 500GB consumed on your current HDD, it's not looking good.

Reactions: Koppara

Koppara

Reputable
Mar 17, 2016
If EaseUS claims that it will move "just Windows", either they are lying or you're reading it wrong.
It doesn't work like that.

With todays prices, buying a new 128GB SSD was a bad move. Too small and very much not value for $$.
What make/model is this drive? The better quality drives don't even come in that size anymore.

For this to be remotely possible, we need a good read on exactly what is on your drive.
Install either WinDirStat or WizTree
Run as Administrator, selecting only the drive in question.

Post a screencap here.

But with over 500GB consumed on your current HDD, it's not looking good.
Is this the right kind of picture?
4jMHRjA.jpg

The model is Kingston A400, got it for a few bucks.

USAFRet

Titan
Right.
To migrate into a 128GB drive, the actual consumed space needs to be below 85GB. Of course, you are far from that.

You can't pick and choose, and there is no "Windows only".

3 options:
1. Buy a larger (1TB?) SSD. Preferable. Migrate the entirety to the new drive.
$140 or so
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820156174

2. Delete, uninstall, remove....until you get that C partition to below 85GB actual consumed space.
But if you're married to that 128GB drive and you can get it that small, #3 is a better idea...

3. A clean install on that Kingston SSD. This also requires a lot of reinstall of all the other stuff as well.

Koppara

Reputable
Mar 17, 2016
Right.
To migrate into a 128GB drive, the actual consumed space needs to be below 85GB. Of course, you are far from that.

You can't pick and choose, and there is no "Windows only".

3 options:
1. Buy a larger (1TB?) SSD. Preferable. Migrate the entirety to the new drive.
$140 or so
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820156174

2. Delete, uninstall, remove....until you get that C partition to below 85GB actual consumed space.
But if you're married to that 128GB drive and you can get it that small, #3 is a better idea...

3. A clean install on that Kingston SSD. This also requires a lot of reinstall of all the other stuff as well.
Ah, only the pictures over the years are like 50+GB haha. Thanks tho very much.

If I just install a fresh Win10 to the SSD, and connect it to the PC, I can still use the files (pics, games etc.) from the HDD, right? Or how would my machine react when there would be two Win10's connected

USAFRet

Titan
Ah, only the pictures over the years are like 50+GB haha. Thanks tho very much.

If I just install a fresh Win10 to the SSD, and connect it to the PC, I can still use the files (pics, games etc.) from the HDD, right? Or how would my machine react when there would be two Win10's connected

Your personal files, no problem. Pics, docs, etc.

Games, kinda...
But you really need to wipe the HDD during this process. Having the two OS's is bad for navigation, and can lead to much confusion later.

Do you have (or can borrow), another drive..an external maybe?

Koppara

Reputable
Mar 17, 2016
Your personal files, no problem. Pics, docs, etc.

Games, kinda...
But you really need to wipe the HDD during this process. Having the two OS's is bad for navigation, and can lead to much confusion later.

Do you have (or can borrow), another drive..an external maybe?
Yeah, I think it'll just be too confusing. I'll just use the ssd as secondary drive and buy a bigger ssd, as they are not too expensive.

Thank you!

Latest posts