Question How to network 2 windows computers over WAN? Sync picture folders.

miogpsrocks

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Hello.

Does there exist a software or technology that you can network 2 computers together remotely?

I am trying to basically sync my pictures to a computer in my vacation house as offsite backup.

I have tried mega sync however there is a 20GB limit. I would prefer to just be able to sync the picture folder without having a 20GB limit.

Any recommendations on software that can do this?

Thanks.

I am unfamiliar with where the 20GB limit comes from.

So lets assume there is a software package that works on your lan.

The best solution is a point to point vpn. Most vpn make the 2 device appear as if they are on the same lan.

There are many ways to do this. Key is at least one of the location must have a public IP. It is technically possible to do it when both end have private IP but it normal vpn is complex enough for a new user.

So the simplest way is if both your routers have vpn support. One end is server (the end with the public IP) an the other is client.
The downside of using a router is the cpu will limit your speed but using wireguard as the encryption many routers exceed 300mbps. You can use a small nuc type pc running a firewall like pfsense or other free firewalls that have vpn support. These are only limited by the amount of money you are willing to spend on the pc. You would use this device in place of your router and then use the router as a AP to provide wifi only.

There are other vpn methods that run the vpn client and server software on the end pc/servers. This is more complex because you have to do things like port forwarding. These vpn configurations are more complex because you have microsoft/windows getting in your way. You do not need any extra hardware or special routers.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Probably SyncThing? A bit complex though.

Search YT for tutorials.

If you setup a Tailscale/Zerotier vpn first, then you shouldn't need port forward (didn't test SyncThing). And you will have a lot more sync/backup options.

Last edited:

miogpsrocks

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Do you have the name of a software that I can use for this VPN setup? I know about stuff like remote utilities but this is to remotely view the screen but I don't think it lets you copy and paste large files between folders on the remote computers. Only simple text can be copied and pasted between computers.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Just go to ZeroTier or Tailscale websites. Both let you create account and download/install their software on any platform you use. They will assign virtual private ip address to each device you run the software.

After you create and join the vpn, all devices look like they are on the same local network, you just use device name or new assigned virtual ip to access each other. You can copy/paste/remote control stuff as long as the device/OS support it, like Windows (network share), just slower.

Neither one requires port forwarding.

Last edited: