[SOLVED] How to network Win 7 & Win 10 computer to one wired printer

jbnimble

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I have an OFFLINE Z170 Win 7 computer connected to an HP Laserjet 4100 printer via a USB to parallel interface cable.
And a new Z390 Win 10 computer. There is no Win 10 driver for this old printer.
I also have a FIOS router.
Is it possible to access this Laserjet 4100 from both computers via networking?
By the end of 2019 I do NOT want to expose the Win 7 system to the Internet.

Solution
Since you don't have a 4100N printer, there is no default ethernet port. I would recommend adding a Jetdirect card to your printer, the 635n and 620n are compatible according to HP website. That will get away from using a PC as a print server. Then have a private network (just and ethernet switch) with the printer, Z170 and the Z390 on it. If your Z390 motherboard does not have a second ethernet port then you would have to add one for this private network.

kanewolf

Titan
Since you don't have a 4100N printer, there is no default ethernet port. I would recommend adding a Jetdirect card to your printer, the 635n and 620n are compatible according to HP website. That will get away from using a PC as a print server. Then have a private network (just and ethernet switch) with the printer, Z170 and the Z390 on it. If your Z390 motherboard does not have a second ethernet port then you would have to add one for this private network.

Solution