How to OC on two systems?

Scoobz

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
I would like to know what I could do in order to OC a couple of 'average' low spec systems I have running.

Dell System - Optiplex 170L
Intel P4 3.2ghz (540 variety) with HT.
2x256mb PC3200 RAM
Nvidia 256mb GF5200 PCI (not AGP or PCIe)
Windows XP Pro SP2

Barebones AMD System
AMD64 3200+
2x512mb PC3200 RAM
Nvidia 128mb GF5700 Ultra AGP8x
Windows XP Pro SP2

At present neither is overclocked in anyway. I aren't even sure if they can be overclocked? I am very much a 'newbie' to this OC malarky, as I've always run machines 'stock'. These two systems are getting on a bit and I aren't quite so bothered about pushing their limits and OCing them, so thought I'd give it a go to try and squeeze some gaming performance out of them (used for playing Red Orchestra:Ostfront).

Many thanks (in advance).

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Dell, nope... cant overclock.. (99% accuracy)

I would start by read a basic guide to overclocking before you post any more questions on this forum... Google will provide a source for this article. And the top results will probably be the best ones. I know that almost all beginners guides that I have read have mentioned the above information, and are very well written. Much better then what I or anyone else can do on the forum.

You may find this information with the model number and brand of motherboard. Then google this MoBo, or look at the MoBo manual and see if you can adjust the FSB. Also look at the Mobo website. Also check to see if the chip you are using has an unlcoked multiplier... Google, AMD, or INTEL also has this information available with a bit of work. Lastly if your chip is unlocked, find out if you can increase the multiplier with the MoBo you have...

You also may find this information in the BIOS. When you have done this, feel free to come back and write a reply. Include the hyperlinks to the above sources I have just suggested, and then narrow down your questions.

Thanks
Mike

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
One other thing google the chip name and model, with the world "overclock", or "Overclock reviews". This should help you understand what other people have been able to accomplish with this processor.