How to open Asus ET2410 series

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curious45

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Hi,
We are close to buying Asus ET2410 All in One. Before we spend our money I would like to ensure that in future this model can be upgraded at home with more memory or SSD. So far I have been unable to find any info on Internet. I know that upgrading hard drive can be as easy as HP All in One or as difficult as iMac. Does anyone know how to open Asus ET2410 series?

Solution

I have a ASUS et24100 all in one. I am still looking for the service manual. It does not exist unless someone at ASUS leaks one to the internet. I have pc experience and if I cant get answers, I investigate and attempt it myself.

I have upgraded the HD to 1tb. Added memory to 8gb. I also added internal tv tuner. The memory is so-dimm notebook memory 2x4gb modules. The wireless is mini pci-e. The internal wireless antennas are generic wireless antennas. The tv tuner is pci-e also. The tv antenna was hand built using a wireless antenna cable and a rg-58u connector from radio shack. The bluetooth is a small usb...

rabenzie1

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

Thank you for your prompt response. I'll probably try to upgrade the ram.

rabenzie1

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

Can i put 16gb of ram in this system? Komputerbay 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 PC3-10600 10666 1333MHz SODIMM 204-Pin Laptop Memory 9-9-9-25

gilleyroo

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I dont know. I didnt have 8gb modules to test with. Look up the specs on the i3 at intel and see how much memory the processor will support. Sorry, wish I knew. Let us all know if you try this. Thanks

rabenzie1

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

ok i will check then test and give feedback.

kenjam1

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

why you cant change the processor, is it soldered into place?

gilleyroo

Honorable
May 14, 2012

Yes you can remove the processor. BUT the motherboard is made for the i3 processor. If you plug in a i5 you may SMOKE your motherboard. Since you opened the case to do this, you voided the warranty. Then if the motherboard fails you will have to PAY to get it repaired by ASUS. They won't sell you the parts or service manual. If you attempt this, let us all know what happened. So we know for sure that you cannot do this. I looked up the i5 and the i3. It indicates the chipsets are different. So good luck.

copernic75

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Hello

For your information, I bought a new ET2210 with a pentium 630 and a Nvidia graphic card this week...
I opened it, changed the hard drive to a SSD (no problem at this moment...) and then remplace the G630 with a I3 2120... same socket and same chip... 1 day later the PC stopped booting... nothing to do except bring it back to the store with a large smile
So I confirm : be carefull

AM

gilleyroo

Honorable
May 14, 2012

Sorry to hear about you expieriment. Did you check the specs on the Intel pentium 630 and the Intel i3? One thing you can try is putting the old cpu back in and do a hard reset. It (fingers crossed) may work. Hope you can exchange it at the store, instead of sending it back to ASUS.

LA_Mike

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Thanks Gilleyroo, your post has been most helpful! I just got myself one of these and I gotta say there was no chance I'd ever be able to open it without your instructions. I'd like to also point out what a PITA it was to remove the shield from the motherboard, almost as much as the actual case.

Now,do you by chance know how/if I could stick an SSD in there? My hard drive is already 750 gigs. no point in swapping it, but I really would love to keep it as the storage drive IN ADDITION to the fast system drive. I was hoping I could just plug it in place of the optical drive, but the connector seems different....

Also, does it matter if I get a half- or full size mini PCI-e wi-fi card?

Thanks so much!

UPDATE: a little research produced 13 pin slimline sata male to 22 pin sata female adapter, which should be just what I need to stick my SSD in place of the optical drive.

LA_Mike

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Actually there are both full and half-size slots, so it was more a compatibility question.

Speaking of which, it's been a couple years since my last build, so reading on the subject made me change my mind and try an mSata in the hopes of retaining both the hdd and the optical drive while adding the fast system drive in the form of mSata.

Still looking for clues, but if anyone thought of the same, I have to disappoint you - the system doesn't see it :(

If anyone knows how it might be possible (Gilleyroo, are you there?Were you able to obtain the service manual?), please post here, I still think this is a great system, and could be made perfect if it only accepted mSata. A custom BIOS maybe?

LA_Mike

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

It's a 2.5 in a 3.5 slot via a conversion bracket, so you can use either one.
Yes, you can replace it with ssd, remember though that then your whole system will be limited by the size of that ssd. I am personally still thinking of using an ssd in place of the optical drive, as I hardly ever use it, and I already replaced the hdd with a 1tb 7200rpm one. Read my posts above on how to do it. Unfortunately, my attempt to use mSata failed, so no go on there.

The good news is that it's confirmed you can use 16gb of ram in this machine despite the official spec.

barak87

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

what do you mean by "mSata" ???

flyingsherpa

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Does anyone know if you can boot from an external hard drive with these models? Either from a USB or the eSATA? I assume you can, but sometimes vendors use a BIOS with limited features on some models.

LA_Mike

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
It can do both. I've been running dual-boot with one of those eSata enclosures since day one.

BEMEL2

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
:) EXCELLENT WRITE-UP. NOW I CAN UPGRADE MEMORY TO 8GB. THANKS.

xijunw

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013

Thank you very much to let us know the upgradability of 16GB memory. Now I can try it with confidence.

wrenchit

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

I am installing a new hard drive and also tv tuner and Wireless cards, , do you have specific models for each that are compatible? Had a bad hard drive and no tv, or wireless . Got it for free and way out of warranty, so my first try at this thing. I have the case open and ready to go!.. Thanks, Wrenchit

crysvoyager

Honorable
May 7, 2013
Merci pour ce tuto qui m'a permis de remettre en état un 2210.
Matériel d'exposition que j'ai acheté 230€ parceque le HDD n'était pas reconnu au démarrage du bios donc le vendeur a déclaré le HDD comme HS.
Après recherche et grace aux photos du démontage d'un produit similaire, j'ai accédé au HDD, connecté celui ci sur un autre PC et vérifié qu'il fonctionnait.
J'ai recherché ailleurs la cause de la panne et placé un HDD 2,5" et celui-ci à bien été reconnu mais avec de nombreux plantages !!
Après prise de mesures sur le connecteur Sata du HDD, le 12V nécessaire n'était que de 10V.
J'ai vérifié l'alimentation, recherché sur le net les caractéristiques pour m'apercevoir que l'alimentation fournie 12V-40W ne convenait pas mais qu'il fallait une 19V-135W.
j'ai remplacé l'alimentation (25€) et maintenant tout fonctionne normalement.

jbngar

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
Hey guys - great info. Can you confirm that it's possible to remove and replace the DVD drive without cracking open the back? There's a small screw just inside the drive enclosure - is that the one that holds it?
Cheers, John G :)

Status
Not open for further replies.