[SOLVED] How to open ports

Apr 16, 2019
I have tried opening ports through my router so friends can join my servers on games but I can't seem to get it to open.
Something I am wondering about is that the ip address i get when i search "what is my ip address" on google starts with 205 and the one
in my router starts with 172, my current internet plan says it includes a public ip address, would i have to get this from them and would
this solve my issues with being unable to open ports

Solution
If the IP addresses do not match there likely is a NAT in the path. Any port forwarding would have to be done on that router which you have no access to.

Ip addresses 172.16.x.x.-172.31.255.255 are private ip.

This is really strange you are like the 3 or 4th person today who has private IP addresses asking about port forwarding.
If the IP addresses do not match there likely is a NAT in the path. Any port forwarding would have to be done on that router which you have no access to.

This is really strange you are like the 3 or 4th person today who has private IP addresses asking about port forwarding.

Solution
Apr 16, 2019

My internet package offers a public ip, would getting this from them solve my issue?