[SOLVED] How to Optimally Set up Case Fans

Noobgamer37

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
I recently upgraded my case, fans, and cpu cooler. I'm wondering what the best way to mount my fans is to get the best cooling out of them. I currently have the radiator of my cooler at the front of my case with the fans blowing away from it toward the components. I then have 2 other fans one at the top and one at the back both of these are currently blowing out of the case. What changes should I make if any to improve this?
My PC:https://pcpartpicker.com/user/LaZyGremlin/saved/sBk8K8

Solution
I. too. prefer to have slightly more intake capacity than exhaust, producing a SMALL "positive pressure" condition inside the case. That MUST include dust filters on all the intake fans, AND preiodic inspection and cleaning of those filters. That way at any small air leakage points in the case, air flow will be OUTWARDS and prevent intake of dust.

Doing that in the design phase by adding up air flow capacities of all the fans is a VERY rough starting point and will NOT guarantee you will achieve positive pressure. Both the dust filters and the AIO system radiators impose significant reductions of air flow from what the fan specs indicate, and this affects the intake fans more than exhaust. But once you have the system in operation you...
Try adding a 140mm to the front (Noctua are my fan of choice) and remove the top fan. This may be better for creating a positive-pressure situation. Each case is different so you have to try different things until you get temps within spec and the lowest amount of noise possible. My advice, based on most modern cases, is the fewest larger fans as possible for less noise and better air flow and more fans bringing air in than blowing air out. In general, brand for brand and fan model for fan model, the larger fans in a series move more air with less noise. This is why I suggest the additional 140 in front.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I. too. prefer to have slightly more intake capacity than exhaust, producing a SMALL "positive pressure" condition inside the case. That MUST include dust filters on all the intake fans, AND preiodic inspection and cleaning of those filters. That way at any small air leakage points in the case, air flow will be OUTWARDS and prevent intake of dust.

Doing that in the design phase by adding up air flow capacities of all the fans is a VERY rough starting point and will NOT guarantee you will achieve positive pressure. Both the dust filters and the AIO system radiators impose significant reductions of air flow from what the fan specs indicate, and this affects the intake fans more than exhaust. But once you have the system in operation you can test for the REAL conditions easily, and maybe make an adjustment if you see the need. You need a small source of tracer "smoke", like a smouldering cigarette or a stick of incense. Slowly move that smoke source around the outside of the case near any possible small leakage point, and watch the smoke direction. If it flows VERY fast you may have too large a difference in air flows, but that often is not so important. Mainly, if the smoke flows AWAY from the case, you have it right. If the smoke goes INTO the case, you need to fix that. I suggest you do this before decideing whether to replace or adjust any fans. As a final test point, repeat the test at several workloads, in case high workload causes a different fan airflow balance.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS