[SOLVED] How to optimise computer?

Garfieldwxg55

Commendable
Mar 30, 2021
Hi, I'm about to upgrade my computer, but before I do, I would like to make sure everything is optimised for when I install the new parts. I have a lot of bloatware that turns on whenever I turn the computer on, including Razer Central, Corsair iCue, and Canon Quick Menu which was installed when I downloaded my printer drivers. How do I stop these programs from starting whenever I boot? Secondly, I've noticed my RAM usage can be quite high, and I'm aware that I may have accumulated a lot of bloatware while owning the computer, so I'll need to shut down a lot of my processes in Task Manager, does anyone know if there are any tutorials on this, that might help me know what processes are important and which ones I can remove?
Many thanks

Solution
I have a lot of bloatware
the best option would be a fresh install of the OS.
especially if you will be using a new motherboard and/or brand of CPU this is essential.

then only install those applications that you know you will need.
How do I stop these programs from starting whenever I boot?
to disable 'Start With Windows' options there's a couple places you need to check:
  • Task Scheduler; Task Scheduler Library > Triggers > things with "at logon" or similar
  • Registry Entries; check each sub-folder under Windows for, \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
  • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
  • Task Manager > Startup tab
or a much easier way would be to install an...
I have a lot of bloatware
the best option would be a fresh install of the OS.
especially if you will be using a new motherboard and/or brand of CPU this is essential.

then only install those applications that you know you will need.
How do I stop these programs from starting whenever I boot?
to disable 'Start With Windows' options there's a couple places you need to check:
  • Task Scheduler; Task Scheduler Library > Triggers > things with "at logon" or similar
  • Registry Entries; check each sub-folder under Windows for, \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
  • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
  • Task Manager > Startup tab
or a much easier way would be to install an application like CCleaner that will list all startup items and allow you to manipulate them from there.
any tutorials on this, that might help me know what processes are important and which ones I can remove?
in regards to finding out what is necessary for your system or your individual components there may be some lists out there to learn from but each system is different and has different software installed so none of them would be the same.
you may find one describing which individual Windows specific processes can be disabled though.

Solution
There are several things you can try and do:
  • Uninstall programs you don't use
  • Go to Task Manager -> Startup tab and disable anything you don't need to run right away
  • Whenever you install something, don't keep clicking "Next" and "I agree", that just tends to add more things you didn't intend to install
  • Type in "msconfig" in Start Search and launch the app it comes up with (it should be "System Configuration", then go to the Services tab, check the "Hide all Microsoft services" box and uncheck anything in the list you don't think is necessary
I recommend against touching anything Windows system related that requires elevated privileges to manipulate, i.e., if it triggered a UAC prompt, unless you're absolutely sure of what it's doing and how it may affect your system. Blindly following guides to change system settings is a recipe for more frustration later down the road.

Hi, I'm about to upgrade my computer, but before I do, I would like to make sure everything is optimised for when I install the new parts. I have a lot of bloatware.........

Upgrade in what sense? Upgrade what specifically?

Do you intend to transfer (clone or image) the current installation to a new hard drive?

If yes, debloating might make sense, but you could just as easily debloat after the transfer, assuming the bloated installation will fit on the new drive.

If not, presumably you would do a clean install and would have a lot of control over the bloat level. That's normally what I would do, but you may have over-riding reasons not to do a clean install?

Before doing anything, go to system restore and create a restore point so you can revert back if something goes wrong. Windows may have turned it off.

Next, go to the installed program list and uninstall anything that should not be there.
If in doubt, leave it be and use google to find out exactly what it does.

Many start up items are of the "check for updates" variety.
I would disable those. Do the check only as you think you may need an update.

Do not worry much about high ram usage.
Windows keeps unused code in ram in anticipation of possible quick reuse.