Question How to optimize a brand new 7900 XT on a ryzen 7 3700X

Aug 5, 2022
Hi Guys

So i'm really in need of help here. This is my PC:

B450 Auros Pro WIfi
32gb RAM (already made sure months ago that they are at 3.2ghz which is the highest they go, i believe)
Ryzen 7 3700x
Brand new: 7900 XT
PSU - 850W Gold
Playing in a 1440p - 165hz monitor /DP cable
Having a second one 1080p - 144hz / HDMI 2.0 cable

So my main purpose of doing an upgrade is to play Warzone at higher FPS. I was playing with that same set up but with an Zotac 3060 TI. I was having on medium settings around 90-105fps, sometimes a litle bit more sometimes 80fps. I switched to AMD after getting a discount on amazon for a little bit over 700 , and i decided to give it a try. Installation went ok, but my warzone game is giving me the exact frames. Not even 10 more, same thing. I'm really shocked. I saw on reddit some post about this pair and it said that the 3700x is bottleneck and i can accept it but not to give me any improvement? it's really hard for me to believe that i can't get any improvement. And what's even worst after i troubleshooed i have two other issues:

1. USB ports on the front not working (one being 3.0 , other 2.0), USB ports in the back are OK ( i might disconnected by mistake a cable? i cant find it, i see everything connected)
2. Words, letters, lines are awful, are all blurry and looks awful even though resolution is perfeclty fine on the menus

a lof of troublehooting has happened now i have a awful image in both my monitors , even navigate looks awful, meaning blurry, like if i was in low resolution but on display settings is not.

What i've done so far:

-Prior to installation i download it DDU and removed all NVIDIA drivers on safe mode, turn off, install AMD GPU and then install the recommended drivers from AMD website.
-I re install many times latest Drivers and tried couple of previous , no success
-Made sure power energy modes are off, all directed to performance
-Re installed controllers on the USB port on device manager, no success
-Not overclock , just change settings on AMD adrenaline of color and saturation, nothing else
-I went to the BIOS and upgraded the BIOS with an usb, that was succesful, went back to previous version, same thing, nothing changes
-I looked it up and some people suggested having connected 2 cables of 8 pin from the GPU to PSU, meaning not 1 cable with 2 heads of 8 pins, but 2 separate cables from PSU to GPU, i tried both, no changes.
-WHen playing my GPU use is only going up to 50% and sometimes goes quickly to 80% and stays around 50%, and my CPU use is just like 40%.
-Havent re install windows...should i?
-Have tried many factory reset the AMD adrenaline menu, no changes in any mode.

I was aware that coming from Nvidia it might not be a plug and play but i'm frustrated is making me have a worst performancethan a 3060 ti .

I appreciate any feedback or idea

If Call of Duty Warzone has the same benchmark thing as Modern Warfare, then run it. It should tell you how much FPS the CPU was getting. If the FPS of the CPU is lower than that of the GPU, then the CPU is the issue here.

However, even without that, the 3700X isn't really a good performer anymore for high FPS. The CPU determines how much FPS you can actually get, the GPU is just there to make the frames look pretty. And unfortunately most games still rely on 2-3 threads to do most of the work, which means single core performance is still needed over multi-core. And I wouldn't call the 3700X's single core performance even midrange anymore; an i5-13600K is about 56% better at it on CineBench R23 and GeekBench.

The good news is, you can upgrade the CPU to a Zen 3 based one with the latest UEFI. If you get a 5800X3D, that'll massively improve your FPS.

Last edited:

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017
Hi Guys

So i'm really in need of help here. This is my PC:

B450 Auros Pro WIfi
32gb RAM (already made sure months ago that they are at 3.2ghz which is the highest they go, i believe)
Ryzen 7 3700x
Brand new: 7900 XT
PSU - 850W Gold
Playing in a 1440p - 165hz monitor /DP cable
Having a second one 1080p - 144hz / HDMI 2.0 cable

So my main purpose of doing an upgrade is to play Warzone at higher FPS. I was playing with that same set up but with an Zotac 3060 TI. I was having on medium settings around 90-105fps, sometimes a litle bit more sometimes 80fps. I switched to AMD after getting a discount on amazon for a little bit over 700 , and i decided to give it a try. Installation went ok, but my warzone game is giving me the exact frames. Not even 10 more, same thing. I'm really shocked. I saw on reddit some post about this pair and it said that the 3700x is bottleneck and i can accept it but not to give me any improvement? it's really hard for me to believe that i can't get any improvement. And what's even worst after i troubleshooed i have two other issues:

1. USB ports on the front not working (one being 3.0 , other 2.0), USB ports in the back are OK ( i might disconnected by mistake a cable? i cant find it, i see everything connected)
2. Words, letters, lines are awful, are all blurry and looks awful even though resolution is perfeclty fine on the menus

a lof of troublehooting has happened now i have a awful image in both my monitors , even navigate looks awful, meaning blurry, like if i was in low resolution but on display settings is not.

What i've done so far:

-Prior to installation i download it DDU and removed all NVIDIA drivers on safe mode, turn off, install AMD GPU and then install the recommended drivers from AMD website.
-I re install many times latest Drivers and tried couple of previous , no success
-Made sure power energy modes are off, all directed to performance
-Re installed controllers on the USB port on device manager, no success
-Not overclock , just change settings on AMD adrenaline of color and saturation, nothing else
-I went to the BIOS and upgraded the BIOS with an usb, that was succesful, went back to previous version, same thing, nothing changes
-I looked it up and some people suggested having connected 2 cables of 8 pin from the GPU to PSU, meaning not 1 cable with 2 heads of 8 pins, but 2 separate cables from PSU to GPU, i tried both, no changes.
-WHen playing my GPU use is only going up to 50% and sometimes goes quickly to 80% and stays around 50%, and my CPU use is just like 40%.
-Havent re install windows...should i?
-Have tried many factory reset the AMD adrenaline menu, no changes in any mode.

I was aware that coming from Nvidia it might not be a plug and play but i'm frustrated is making me have a worst performancethan a 3060 ti .

I appreciate any feedback or idea
You are getting a pretty bad bottleneck. As strange as it sounds trying uping your resolution to true 4k. This happened to the guy at techlab too when he upgraded to the 7900 xt. Once he upgraded to the 5800x3d it made a pretty huge difference and he even started out with a better processor than the 3700x.

View: https://youtu.be/0QPMGIUCBtg

Reactions: Sonny208
Aug 5, 2022
If Call of Duty Warzone has the same benchmark thing as Modern Warfare, then run it. It should tell you how much FPS the CPU was getting. If the FPS of the CPU is lower than that of the GPU, then the CPU is the issue here.

However, even without that, the 3700X isn't really a good performer anymore for high FPS. The CPU determines how much FPS you can actually get, the GPU is just there to make the frames look pretty. And unfortunately most games still rely on 2-3 threads to do most of the work, which means single core performance is still needed over multi-core. And I wouldn't call the 3700X's single core performance even midrange anymore; an i5-13600K is about 56% better at it on CineBench R23 and GeekBench.

The good news is, you can upgrade the CPU to a Zen 3 based one with the latest UEFI. If you get a 5800X3D, that'll massively improve your FPS.
Thank you so much, i appreciate it, im seriously thinking ordering that 5800x3d, read somewhere else is a good value, cause other CPUs are easily around $500

TRENDING THREADS