[SOLVED] How To Optimize Gaming PC's Power Use?

jpmeneses21

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2013
I have a gaming PC with an i5-8400, 1070 ti, 650-watt gold rated PSU, and a 144hz monitor.

I would just like to know if minimizing the power limit, temp., core, and memory clocks all the way down to its lowest value via Afterburner will have any impact at all on my overall power consumption? Especially when I'm just browsing the web or light load. I understand that just because I have 650-watt PSU doesn't mean I constantly pull 650 watts from the wall. I just want to know how to make my power consumption even more efficient.

What else do you think I can do? I'm thinking of adjusting the power settings in Windows, but I think that's more useful in laptops than in desktop PCs. A more drastic method is to disable my videocard and just use the integrated graphics of my CPU but that would mean constantly unplugging the PCI-E cable from the GPU and switching from displayport to HDMI since my motherboard doesnt not have a DP port.

Solution
The system will only draw what it needs.

If it only needs 120 watts at a particular moment or use, and you've manipulated and limited it to give out no more than 300 watts max...it will still only consume 120 watts.

Just leave it.

USAFRet

Titan
The system will only draw what it needs.

If it only needs 120 watts at a particular moment or use, and you've manipulated and limited it to give out no more than 300 watts max...it will still only consume 120 watts.

Just leave it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS