News How to Overclock 12th Gen Intel Alder Lake CPUs

Yeah... Irrelevant... you can keep these speed couple of minutes...
;)
Well OC always means that efficiency is out of door in anyway.

Obviously not talking about efficiency point of view, but rather from a cooling point of view. Yes, it's mentioned a good cooler is required (high end air, min 240 AIO). As I said, relevant. Maybe not relevant for everyone, but relevant nonetheless.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
Those are some nice gains on Intel ! Not really surprised, Ryzen is total garbage for overclocking.

PBO doesn't add much and manual OC is also trash due to poor silicon and no avx offset.

Every single Ryzen I had, Zen, Zen+ and now Zen2 were/are complete trash with PBO / even stock frequency are hard to hit !

hannibal

Distinguished
Mostly it is about Intel segmentation!
All amd cpus are all near the threshold. So every AMD cpu runs about the same speed. Intel only has 12900K that has been pushed to the threshold and so everything else can be overclocked. That means that there is bigger disparity between intel cpus, until you oc them.

You can push the ring up to 4.2 GHz on most chips without much fuss, which is significantly higher than we've seen with previous Intel chips.

I'm not sure where this is coming from. In my experience the ring/uncore ratios have not been a problem on past Intel generations and in fact I've been running 4.5Ghz uncore ratios on Z170 (Skylake) through Z390 (Coffee lake refresh) platforms for years with zero problems and rock solid stability. Obviously, not on the entry level boards, but nobody is really going to target one of those boards for a serious overclock anyhow.

TRENDING THREADS