How to overclock a AMD FX-8350?

esplec

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
I have researched through the internet and found posts with overclocking tutorial, but I don't understand anything that they say; also videos but for the 8320 and im scared of ruining my hardware by copying other settings rather than the ones for my CPU.
I have an MSI 970 GAMING motherboard and a cooler master seidon 120V AIO water cooler; also 16GB DDR3 RAM (I don't think this is important but just in case I put it here).
Really want to boost at much as I can from my pc, so some help will be appreciated!

Solution
Well turn your Turbo boosts off, Cool n Quiet feature
Next you want to see how high you can push that cpu without any voltage increase. SO using the CPU Ratio first start pushing it upwards from its stock clock using the multiplyer (assuming that 8350 is a Black Edition and you have a decent PSU) In other words Being that a 8350 is at 4ghz push it too 4.4 see if your pc will boot. If it does thats great!. Restart and push it another 100mhz. keep doing so untill you get a BSOD and windows cant start.
At that point you want to back off to the last stable OC and run Prime95 to stress test it till it fails. If it fails the next step is too increase your voltage approx .01 increments. Stress testing can take hours and while stress testing...

Xxmlgxx

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
Well turn your Turbo boosts off, Cool n Quiet feature
Next you want to see how high you can push that cpu without any voltage increase. SO using the CPU Ratio first start pushing it upwards from its stock clock using the multiplyer (assuming that 8350 is a Black Edition and you have a decent PSU) In other words Being that a 8350 is at 4ghz push it too 4.4 see if your pc will boot. If it does thats great!. Restart and push it another 100mhz. keep doing so untill you get a BSOD and windows cant start.
At that point you want to back off to the last stable OC and run Prime95 to stress test it till it fails. If it fails the next step is too increase your voltage approx .01 increments. Stress testing can take hours and while stress testing you want HWmonitor to watch your Temps.
The FX series does not have a accurate thermal reading being that it uses a algorithm to determine its core temp. So you must also watch your socket temp which is usually about 7-12c hotter then the core temp. (Max Socket is usaully 70c)
Also max CPU temp is 62c

Solution

esplec

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016

Xxmlgxx

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

Yes these features are in the BIOS. That PSU should suffice but i wouldn't go crazy with it.
BE WARNED~ Take heed when increasing your voltage as it adds more heat and can reduce the lifespan of CPU, Chipset, and VRMs. You never know what can happen. So always start small

esplec

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016

So I only changed cpu ratio to 4.5 because i didn`t see any 4.4 option. Hwmonitor show all my cores at 900mhz? Its everything ok?

Xxmlgxx

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
ok so you tried that first overclock and you got 900mhz becuase you downclocked your multiplier to 4.5
4.5x200mhz=900mhz

setting your clock too 22x200mhz will =4.4ghz

so to get 4.5ghz or a 100mhz increase you would set the multiplier too 22.5x200mhz which will equal 4.5ghz

Yes it should be called AMD Turbo Core Feature or something along those lines

esplec

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
Is ok that my pc looks superfast?, it looks like it had a x2 speed, also is still showing 900mhz in hwmonitor
Edit: it looked super fast at 4.4 and 4.5, but wheb i put 4.6 it didn't boot, so i went back to 4.5 and now windows looks at normal speed and shows 4500mhz.
Now, prime 95 froze my pc

esplec

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016

Also, how does the cpu increase values work? It says +0.010000, so I imagine it is 0.01 added volts. I added this and also prime95 froze my pc.

Xxmlgxx

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
ok Prime95 should not freeze your pc. You either fail a test or you get the BSOD. Try dropping it back to 4.4Ghz and then run Prime95 and do a Blend test only.
Are you watching your temps? Can you screenshot me a pic of HWmonitor?
I would not touch the Vcore yet. We need to find out why your PC is freezing.

Also Download CPU-Z and Screenshot that as well.

esplec

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016

Don't worry, i think i got it stable, just that a little bit of heat because my whole system is 3 years old... Dude thank you so much for the help. I got cpu to 4.5 ghz with 1.4 volts. 52 degrees on idle and an average of 70 degrees while playing games.
Also idk if could tell me which fan speed should i set.

Xxmlgxx

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

No problem man! i got the Fx-8320 and i got it too 4.4ghz at a 1.38vcore and its rock stable(Prime95 ran for 2 hours straight no issues)
But That 70c is really hot for that cpu it shouldnt go over 62 too hot and it will throttle and kill that cpu quick
Your not using a stock cooler are you?I saw the watercooler but is there any water in it? lol its just way too hot for that cpu if your actually water cooling.