[SOLVED] How to Overclock an i7 2600k on a Asrock H61M-GS

Jul 29, 2019
I've recently purchased an i7 2600k for my gaming rig. It runs really well but i can't find a way to overclock it. It allows me to turn the multiplier up to 38 but that's just turbo boost right?
I've looked at the Asrock website concerning my motherboard and it says that the motherboard supports Intel K series processors.
My Specs:
I7 2600K running at 3.8 Ghz
Asrock H61M-GS
Gigabyte nvidia 1050ti
16GB DDR3 1333Mhz
265Gb SSD
2TB Hard drive
Any help would be much appreciated

Solution
It "supports" K series chips, in that they'll run. But it does not support 'true' overclocking.

You can 'overclock' non K chips via "bins" increases, where (almost?) all chips can do x4. That requires a compatible overclocking chipset though.
With a locked board, I believe you're limited to the turbo clock & nothing more.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It "supports" K series chips, in that they'll run. But it does not support 'true' overclocking.

You can 'overclock' non K chips via "bins" increases, where (almost?) all chips can do x4. That requires a compatible overclocking chipset though.
With a locked board, I believe you're limited to the turbo clock & nothing more.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's not so much 'finding' them, it's just what you can do in terms of an OC.
That's for a "locked" sku, on an overclocking board though. So, if you had an i5-2400 on P67 (for example) you could increase +4 "bins" (+400MHz) above the turbo clock. A 2400 turbo was 3.4GHz, so a "overclock" of that locked chip should hit 3.8GHz all core.

However, you;'re dealing with an unlocked chip on a 'locked' board. I don't think the same rules apply.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/4083...-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/3