[SOLVED] How to overclock i5-4690k on ASUS H81I-PLUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2022
I know this is an old build but please share any relevant information. I am running into an issue with the overclocking of the i5-4690k: specifically, it never clocks past 3.7ghz on all cores and I am trying to understand why.

Something I think is relevant is every time the PC starts from off it cycles off then on once.

The specs are as follows:

CPU: i5-4690k
RAM: 2x 8gb ddr3 crucial 1333mhz
MB: ASUS H81I-PLUS
BIOS Ver: Version 2305
Cooler: Noctua nh-l12s
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
PSU: EVGA 650 GS
Monitor: 1366*768 Roku TV
SSD: Samsung EVO 860 250gb
HDD: Toshiba laptop 1tb hdd

If there is any additional info that could help please let me know, thank you in advance for any assistance :)

Last edited:
Solution
The multiplier can be changed Down, not Up. The bios is the rules that govern the limits of the pc, but there are other considerations besides the bios. The H81 chipset is locked at a maximum frequency, so regardless of what the bios will allow, the chipset will put on the brakes. Moving the multiplier above Intel limits will do nothing, but dropping below those limits will set new limitations. So you could set the multiplier at 50, you still only get 3.9GHz single core, but setting the multiplier at 32, you'd get 3.2GHz all cores.

Blackink

Distinguished
I have my i5-4690k overclocked to 4.2 and never changed any other settings. It's been running fine for 4 years like that.

I can't do it tonight but tomorrow morning I'll go into the BIOS and see what/where I made the changes.
Not sure if what I did will help you but it might.

My mobo is an Asus Z-97A 3.1, not sure if that makes much difference but it might.

Feb 21, 2022
I have my i5-4690k overclocked to 4.2 and never changed any other settings. It's been running fine for 4 years like that.

I can't do it tonight but tomorrow morning I'll go into the BIOS and see what/where I made the changes.
Not sure if what I did will help you but it might.

My mobo is an Asus Z-97A 3.1, not sure if that makes much difference but it might.
That would mean a lot, thank you! Im not sure whats going on with my config right now because even when I set the ratio for the cores it doesnt keep the settings (it is not a bios battery issue). I think it might be like a failed overclock issue with the pc doing a boot cycle once every time when powering up

Feb 21, 2022
So when the turbo is turned on, the maximum i get across 4 cores with cpu-z benchmarking is 3.68 (3.7ghz). Performing tests with less cores, i.e. two cores yields 3.9ghz

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The multiplier can be changed Down, not Up. The bios is the rules that govern the limits of the pc, but there are other considerations besides the bios. The H81 chipset is locked at a maximum frequency, so regardless of what the bios will allow, the chipset will put on the brakes. Moving the multiplier above Intel limits will do nothing, but dropping below those limits will set new limitations. So you could set the multiplier at 50, you still only get 3.9GHz single core, but setting the multiplier at 32, you'd get 3.2GHz all cores.

Solution
Feb 21, 2022
Well that's a shame :/ still I would like to know what's happening to the device when it's booting up? When I hit the power button it turns on for under a second, turns off for 2 seconds, and finally proceeds to boot. this process happens regardless of overclocking

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That G3258 OC was a special use case. It was basically started by ASRock to promote sales on some of their higher end H81 mobo's, it had a unlocked bios that enabled an OC, and was (for a few months) very popular. However, Intel didn't like it, so pressured ASR, Asus and MSI to introduce microcode into bios updates to shut the OC down. So if you had a particular bios, a particular board, you could OC that cpu, but any bios update and the OC was caught. Soon as you reset cmos, the OC was wiped out.

The Only way to OC a locked cpu or an unlocked cpu on a locked bios mobo (B, H series etc) is by tampering with BCLK, which changes the Buss Clock from Intel standard 100.00 to usually 107.00±. That'd be a 7% bus increase x multiplier. It's enough to get from 3.9GHz to 4.1GHz roughly, but at an extreme cost. The bus clock is also linked to ram speeds, gpu clocks, drive transmission speeds etc, so raising BCLK makes everything faster, hotter and increases instability as a result.

The only ppl who mess with BCLK with any regularity are using LN2 (liquid nitrogen) cooling.

So the safe and simple answer is No OC on H81 chipset mobo's.

Status
Not open for further replies.