How to overclock Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

RB85

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
Hi there,

First of all, i am really new to overclocking so sorry if i ask stupid questions..

Since a few weeks i want to upgrade my pc with a new CPU because i really have the idea that it's the bottleneck of my PC, but since a few days i have read some articles about overclocking and about how suitable the Intel Core 2 Duo is for this. Only problem is that i can't really find what configuration i could safely use in my PC. I have the following hardware:

Motherboard: MSI P965 NEO-F
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 2x 1,86 GHz
Memory: 2x 1024MB Nanya Elixer DDR2/800 Dimm
Graphics: ATI Radeon X1950XTX 512MB DDR4
Powersupply: CoolerMaster 430W

Can anyone plz tell me how much i can overclock my CPU safely and which settings i have to change in the BIOS?
All help is much appreciated.

Thnx in advance..

RB85

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
no problem, i should have put some more information here i guess. but i already read some guides about it, like this one:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-2-duo-overtakes-core-2-extreme,1516.html

but it doesnt really show where i can expect difficulties for example. like the memory-speed, it is currently set to 800 but the manual tells me that it should be addepted too. even though i have no idea what i should set it too. is there some kind of tool i can calculate all the values i need to change?

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-240001_11_0.html

read this one....

I also have a core 2 duo E6300 and was able to overclock it to 2.5 ghz with the help of the people here(temps: idle 39 load:48).

Since you have a stock cooler I wouldn't reckomend to try and overclock it to high.

My advice is try low voltages for this processor. (I have 1.187 the lowest option I could choose with my motherboard and it runs stable at 2.5 ghz)

Look that the temps of your cores don't get hotter then 60C(core temp)

I would reccomend you let the ram run at 1:1. (fsb:ram) that means that if you overclock the cpu to 2.5ghz (7x355) your ram will run at ddr2-710 (355 mhz as the cpu).

I know this whole things sound very difficult, because I also started 1 month ago with reading here and opening a thread, but it's really worth it.

The E6300 is a great overclocker!

Kind regards Erdinger

RB85

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009

Thnx for your reply.

Do you also use the stock cooler with your CPU if i may ask? Is it safe to try 2,5 GHz on stock cooler. I am really satisfied with this speed..

I am unfamiliar with the MSI BIOS. Raising the FSB from the stock 266 MHz. to 333 MHz. should be OK with stock cooler. I wouldn't go over about a 20% - 25% OC with the stock cooler without keeping a very close eye on the temperatures. Because the E6300 has a relatively low internal multiplier (X7), 2.5 GHz. may be overdoing it with stock cooler.

I ran an E6600 with the stock cooler at 3.0 GHz. Worked fine, especially since it ran without overvolting. An Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro took me to 3.3 GHz. Anything higher requires serious air cooling.

To run the memory at a 1 to 1 ratio, set your memory clock to twice the FSB.

This may be a little difficult because different BIOS' define the terms differently.

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
sry for duble post.
I had the luck that the person who made the overclocking guide also had an asus p5b so everything got simpler for me.....

I think I could go for 2.8 ghz and the sistem would run stable (stock cooler) and don't get to hot but I really don't want to burn my cpu and I think you also don't want to do that.

So really download a temperature monitoring device and always watch at the highest temps you reach while using prime 95.

Because it's winter i stopped at 48/49C.

RB85

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
Thnx for your replies, i have tried a couple of things but i think MSI doesnt really support it. As soon as i increase the FSB my PC doesnt really start anymore. or i just dont see anything. I have read in the guide that i need to change the speed of the GPU PCIex because otherwise this will just go up with the CPU but my BIOS doesnt support this option. I guess its just not really possible on MSI.

Thnx anyway for all your help.

Imre_2

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
HI i have the same CPU but unable to change any settings in my bios they are all grayed out. Is this ungrayabled so to speak?