Question How to overclock NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050TI?

DSzymborski

Titan
I would never do this on a laptop. At most you would wring out a few FPS and while it's worth doing if it's a desktop 1050 Ti that has a supplementary power connector, in a case that doesn't care about heat, the risks with a laptop are far greater. Heat and power delivery issues are what kill most laptops that aren't destroyed by a physical issue, and overclocking a laptop GPU is a good way to strain those parts.

Matthew Dilks

Honorable
Sep 22, 2017
I would never do this on a laptop. At most you would wring out a few FPS and while it's worth doing if it's a desktop 1050 Ti that has a supplementary power connector, in a case that doesn't care about heat, the risks with a laptop are far greater. Heat and power delivery issues are what kill most laptops that aren't destroyed by a physical issue, and overclocking a laptop GPU is a good way to strain those parts.
Okay, I understand. Is there any way to improve performance, though?

DSzymborski

Titan
Okay, I understand. Is there any way to improve performance, though?

Not in this manner. Really just the basic things of not having a lot of background tasks, running in maximum performance rather than maximum power savings, etc. Performance in a laptop tends to be simply what it is.

Just look at the tradeoffs laptops with more powerful GPUs have to make for those cards. One of my laptops has a non-Max-Q GTX 1070 in it and that thing is enormous, has ventilation holes all over the place, and if I had to lug it around regularly, I'd need shoulder surgery in a month.