Question How to overclock Q9550 with Asrock G31M-S?

Jun 8, 2019
First of all I would like to say I am a beginner with overclocking. I have watched videos online and read forms on the specific CPU and motherboard. I have seen a lot of people achieve 3 GHz to 3.6 GHz. For some reason when I overclock my CPU (following the correct steps) I can’t get past 2.9 GHz whenever I increase the frequency by one it drops straight away down to 2.7 GHz, that’s even below the base clock 2.83 GHz. I am stuck and I wanna achieve the best performance as possible out of my CPU as I heard that it can do great things in gaming. please if anyone has any tips or tricks to help me successfully overclock my CPU.

My system Specs:

Asrock G31M-S
Core 2 Quad Q9550
8GB DDR2 800mhz (currently using 4GB)
Rx 460 2gb
600w PSU

Jun 8, 2019
video quality sux (240P!), sorry, but, covers some of the BIOS settings required to OC on your MB...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhvXbcupBlw
I have watched that video many times and I am still unsuccessful overclocking my CPU, sometimes when I save the settings in my BOIS after I changed my frequency, my system restarts but it fails to boot properly, I would normally get the casual black screen. Sometimes if I’m lucky it will boot up normally or I would have to hold the power button shut it down manually and then turn it back on.