ryzen 3700x
asus x570 tuf gaming plus wifi
Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB
ASUS TUF Gaming GT501 case
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Seasonic FOCUS 750 Gold SSR-750FM 750W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Semi-Modular

Reactions: DUAL33s
So, first thing first. Ryzen 3xxx series CPU's are not great OC'ers, and are already pretty maxed out. You would be much better off using Auto OC and PBO to push the CPU. It nearly always gives better results.

Unless there is some reason you need an all core OC on the CPU, this is the best way to do it. Specially as you've never OC'ed before.

Also, Ryzen Master, is not the best way to OC your system. The best way is through the bios. You should read/learn about what you want to do, and achieve.

This is a great guide for beginners: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/

Reactions: TorturedMoon
Before you even get started on overclocking you should make sure you've got your system up-to-date so it's got maximum performance.

Get the latest BIOS... I'm not sure, but I think ASUS released bios' based on AGESA 1004B for it, the latest for Ryzen 3000 that fixes a lot of the problems with boosting.

But then you need to also make sure you've updated to latest AMD X570 chipset drivers. Get them only from AMD web site.

After that, make a few BIOS tweaks to make sure it's using the chip's boosting and idling/power conserving features right:

You have to set the following in your BIOS, under "CPU Features" or "AMD_CBS":
  • Global C-state Control = Enabled
  • Power Supply Idle Control = Low Current Idle
  • CPPC = Enabled
  • CPPC Preferred Cores = Enabled
  • AMD Cool'n'Quiet = Enabled
  • PPC Adjustment = PState 0
That's not overclocking, it just makes the BIOS use the CPU correctly and enable it to work with Windows correctly to get the most out of it.

Then, if you really want, go ahead and experiment with PBO overclocking. It does provide a little boost in some benchmarks, but not anything you'll notice. But the good thing about it is it is safe and leaves the system inherently stable no matter what you do. At the end of it, at least you'll know you've optimized it and that does provide a certain sense of satisfaction.

Manual all-core overclocking is a major pain, actual decreases performance in most real world tasks and in those tasks it helps it's really quite minor and unnoticeable.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead