News How to Overclock Your Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtcmedia

Reputable
Jan 12, 2019
I think the days of GPU/CPU overclocking are over. It's just so competitive between AMD/Intel/NVIDIA that they squeeze every ounce of performance out of there hardware at stock. Like @Phaaze88 said, you need some custom cooling and modding to overclock these days and the gains will be minimal.

yzonker

Prominent
Jan 28, 2021
This article has a couple of errors/misconceptions.

1) The voltage slider only gives access to the last few voltage points on the VF curve. It has no effect on how large of a core offset you can run. Also, most 3090's are power limited to the point that the core will never see this higher voltage allowed by maxing out the voltage slider in games like Cyperpunk. Even if the card can reach the voltage limit, this will still not change the max core offset that is stable usually (since the core frequency will increase as well as voltage as the card follows the VF curve). The VF curve can be seen in Afterburner by hitting "Control-F".

2) Memory overclocking is more tricky than just upping it until the game crashes. There is some sort of error correction done by 30 series GPU's that will cause regression in performance before actual instability is seen. So the only way to properly max out the mem overclock is to increase it in +100 increments and run a reliable benchmark (like the one in CP2077, or just use one of the 3DMark benchmarks like Port Royal or Time Spy) to see if the score improves. Most cards will see a regression in score before actually crashing.

Reactions: Matt_ogu812
This article has a couple of errors/misconceptions.

1) The voltage slider only gives access to the last few voltage points on the VF curve. It has no effect on how large of a core offset you can run. Also, most 3090's are power limited to the point that the core will never see this higher voltage allowed by maxing out the voltage slider in games like Cyperpunk. Even if the card can reach the voltage limit, this will still not change the max core offset that is stable usually (since the core frequency will increase as well as voltage as the card follows the VF curve). The VF curve can be seen in Afterburner by hitting "Control-F".

2) Memory overclocking is more tricky than just upping it until the game crashes. There is some sort of error correction done by 30 series GPU's that will cause regression in performance before actual instability is seen. So the only way to properly max out the mem overclock is to increase it in +100 increments and run a reliable benchmark (like the one in CP2077, or just use one of the 3DMark benchmarks like Port Royal or Time Spy) to see if the score improves. Most cards will see a regression in score before actually crashing.
Regarding the memory point I read about this many gpu generations ago, I think it might have been when I was overclocking my old 780. I don’t know anything more about it apart from it’s not new.

Hresna

Prominent
Jun 18, 2022
The article somewhat misrepresents the nature and character of undervolting.

The vast majority of people doing this will achieve the same or better performance than stock, while also having less heat and fan noise. It is absolutely worth doing for anyone that can be bothered to try.

The VF curve method in afterburner (on NVIDIA cards) is the time-honoured gold standard method for this… picking a voltage point in the 900mV area, raising the offset by +120 or so (some multiple of 15), and flattening out the curve to the right of that point.

yzonker

Prominent
Jan 28, 2021
Regarding the memory point I read about this many gpu generations ago, I think it might have been when I was overclocking my old 780. I don’t know anything more about it apart from it’s not new.

Yea I don't know when that started. I was just commenting on the article using a 3090. Better advice is probably to say, if you have any recent generation of Nvidia card, the procedure I mentioned needs to be used to really dial in the mem OC properly.

The article does do a good job of illustrating how little there is to gain from a mem OC though, at least when the card is power limited. The mem OC eats in to the power budget and will reduce core clocks, reducing the performance gain from the mem OC.

And to be fair, I think they probably backed off on the mem OC enough to not be in to regression (+1500 crashed, so they went down to +1000).

Reactions: Matt_ogu812

Matt_ogu812

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
I used the EVGA X1 to OC my RTX 3060(auto OC)and within a month the card started having a burning smell.
EVGA warranty replaced it, 3-year warranty, but waiting 2-3 weeks for a replacement can be a bit much.
Needless to say, I'm not going to bother with the 5-10% improvement and leave it stock.
Maybe I got one of those defective GPUs that I read about and it was just all coincidental?
Regardless no-mo running the replacement on the ragged edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.