yohecleal

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Hi guys,

This is going to be my first time overclocking so I need little help here because I know is very danger for your CPU, please somebody tell me what to do and what is better so here is what I have
I did some research about it and make sure I got the good stuff for that

Case: Antec nine hundred

Motherboard: Asus crosshair IV

CPU: AMD X6 1090t

Fan CPU: NH-D14 with 3 Fan= 2 Noctua and 1 Cooler Master with Blue LED - Plus the ones in the 900 Case

Memory: 2 Corsair Dominator 8 GB 2 x 4GB PC3-12800 1600 and 2 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB 2 x 4GB DDR3 DDR3 1600 12800

Video Card: 2 Gigabyte ATI 5870 thay're in Crossfire now

Hard Drive: SSD Samsung 256GB, 1 WD 1TB 7200rpm 64GB, 1 Seagate 7200rpm 750GB

Power S: 1100W

So this is what I can do, the Asus have a software to do the overclock (some people said is good some don't like it) I read that is better manually but as I said I never did this before, so please guys help to do the right thing, I don't think is going to be too complicated because I have the good stuff and the actual hardware to do it
PD: I see some videos on youtube about it but everybody said DANGER DANGER DANGER lol, so I'm afraid to do it just my self and is a lot of money in here lol

please let me know anything you want to tell me about it :)

oh! if you guys have any other suggestion about to overclock my video cards or anything like that please let me know and whatever is not gonna put my in DANGER DANGER DANGER lol

Solution
Hi.

Excellent rig dude.

Now to the main thing. Your CPU is BE, so, for overclocking is better use the BIOS and not software. Go to your BIOS and rise the multiplier a little, test the rig with prime95, LinX or OCCT to know if the rig is stable.

Rise the multiplier until your get it stable at stock voltage. After that you need start to rise the voltage BUT do it in little step as the multiplier too. So, for 4GHz you will need 200 (raference clock) x 20 (multiplier) and the voltage need be find it for your.

Overclock isn't dangerous if you do it in the proper way.

Finally, ALWAYS keep your eyes in the temps, you can use HWMonitor or Coretemp, something above 60ºC in your CPU isn't good.

Good luck ;)

Explo

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hey guys, I'm about to build a new system so I'm learning whatever I can about OCing,

@saint19, I don't quite follow your post. You say to raise the multiplier a little and stress test, I get that part. But, then, you say to raise the multiplier until you "get it stable at stock voltage," shouldn't you raise it until it's unstable? Then raise the voltage?

yohecleal

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009

Thank you Bro,
if you don't mind can you explain me little bit more easy for me, to be honest I never go to BIOS (only for basic stuff), sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but I don't know what is prime95, etc (I think they're software to help me and see stability)
If somebody know any website where I can see viseos or pictures showing step by step would be awesome and no risk, after this I'm gonna do it myself :)
I use the ASUS TurboV EVO and take the CPU to 3.93, but with what I have I think I can go maybe for 4.2, I'm right?

the other thing is I'm using speedfan 4.42 and this is what I got:
Temp1: 32C
Temp2: 28C
Temp3: -128 never see this before
HD2: 24C
HD0: 26C
Core: 16C

all this with the CPU in 3.93, and the Computer with no games or heavy software working just normal use, I think I can go for more than 3.93 my PC keep very nice temps, I think lol

kickflipper1087

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I'm not quite a fan of software overclocking, I tried it at first but sometimes when the overclocking program would boot, the computer would crash at the sudden overclock settings.

I would become familiar with your BIOS settings. I'm not familiar with the AMD family of CPU's so I can't tell you from experience what you should do, but what I can say is consult with the forums and Google before you change any voltages above normal.

Temperatures look good btw. That's a pretty sweet rig you got :) When you get used to the do's and dont's of overclocking, you can unleash that beast, for real.

Not a problem.

1- Don't use the TurboV Evo, don't give you the best performance results.

Now to the main question.

We gone use the following page as picture reference for your mobo: http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1362/asus_crosshair_iv_bios_2.jpg

1- Go to "Extreme Tweaker, CVan you see the "A1 overclock tuner?", change it to manual as you see in the 1st picture of the link.
2- Before start to rise the multiplier, we need disable Cool'n'quite, C1E and Turbo core technology. So, in 1st picture you can see the "AMD Turbo core technology", disable it. Go to "Advance" tab and disable C1E and Cool'n'Quite (6th picture in the reference link)
3- Go back to the "Extreme Tweaker" tab, we need change the "CPU Ratio" option to overclock the CPU using the multiplier. This must change in 0.5 numbers, so, you will see x16, x16.5, x17, x17.8...etc. We need find the high stable number with the stock voltage, so, start to rise it. I think that is a number between x18-x20.

Prime95, LinX, OCCT are programs to check the stability of the rig with overclocking settings. Look for those on Google and download one (I prefer LinX), after you finish the overclock in the BIOS, log in to windows and run the program.

Let me know the results.

Solution

yohecleal

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Ok first I want to thank you for helping me out :)

so I change the cool'n'quite to disable, turbo tech. was already disable, and the C1E disabled, the only thing is when I go to CPU Ratio is in auto, but when I click on it nothing happen, normally I can see 3 choices (auto, enable and disable) but not this time.
and the link that you send me only chow me picture 2 and you mention picture 6, sorry but is not there.
I'm start getting this (I like it, really cool) what are you telling me make sense so I want to keep doing it

just one thing that I want to let you know, my memories are 1600 but I see like they're 1066 (weird no? did you know why?

sorry my ignorance but I'm learning lol :)

Sorry, I posted the wrong link.

Correct link: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1362/4/

We need find the "Multiplier" option for your CPU. What does the multiplier? A little and easy explanation.

Your CPU has a stock frequency, in this case is 3200MHz (like mine, we have the same CPU), that speed is calculated using a simple formula: Reference clock (CPU BUS Frequency in your BIOS) x Multiplier (We need find this), so, 200 x 16 = 3200MHz. We want rise the multiplier, so, 200 x 19 = 3800MHz. So, look all the options in your BIOS to find it, usually is x16, x16.5, x17, x17.5...etc.

Let me know if you can find it.

Regarding the RAM speed, the Crosshair IV (as all others AMD mobos) don't support 1600MHz as default, so, we also need change that to take full advantage of your RAM speed. Change the DRAM frequency to 1600MHz, but we also need change if that change is stable. We also can do it with one of the above programs, like I say, I prefer LinX.

Finally, it's not ignorance. Nobody born knowing overclocking, it's a process and test-fail process, just need a lot of work and patience. ;)

yohecleal

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009

Wow I did it my friend, thanks so much

what I did is what you told me and is really easy with the new mobo, I feel great

I put
CPU Ratio on 20
memory on 1600

Now I'm 4013.4mhz

just one question, if I want to go for more, maybe 4.2mhz what can I do? i see this video and looks good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R917iwOxW0

please let me know what you think, and thanks again I'll post your answer as the best :)

yohecleal

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Update: after the overclocking try to run the LinX and when is on the 3rd row my computer crash, so I don't know if I did something wrong but little weird

and when I try to run 3dmark 11 same thing when is on the testing process the 3dmardk stop working and keep freeze in ther, no my pc but the software stop working, you guys know what happen

oh the temp after OC is around 34 :) go to 44 when run the LinX and I see all core working in 100%

Please any comments I'll take it. thanks

The video looks good but be careful, even with the same hardware the results are different. If you take a look, the RAM is different from your and we don't know if you are using the same BIOS version. The video is a good idea as a guide but not as a step by step guide, if you really want How to overclock your CPU, I recommend to you do it yourself.

If you want go above 4GHz, you need start to rise the CPU voltage in little steps. "Extreme Tweaker" gives you the option to the end of the page, but do it in little steps, in this process you can kill the CPU, mobo or both.

Finally, check the stability of the rig, do it for at least 2 hours.

Regarding that problem, I'm pretty sure that you can't do 4GHz at stock voltage, try with 3.6GHz or 3.7GHz one of those should be stable at stock voltage.

yohecleal

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
I see others changing the voltage manually, is a lot of numbers I didn't tried , but you think if I can do that would be helpful for my process, because I just change the numbers on clock ratio and memory to 1600
the computer is working good but when I run the test: CRASH :(

We need find the stable clock at stock voltage, after that we can start to change the CPU voltage to get more speed.

yohecleal

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Got it, now pass the LinX test with no error:
Clock Ratio 19.5
don't remember this one but is the one is normally in 200: now is 204
Memory 1600

now is 3991.3 run perfect :) Thank you
you're good guy

lnesseler

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I put in new memory for my Phenom II x4 970 — G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1490 0CL8D-8GBXM – and let loose the software/hardware over-clockering capability. Ended up slightly higher than 4.2 GHz with no increase in voltages. Now I need to go back to see if it maximized memory speed and bump the multiplier, which I suspect is the first ratio setting to appear near the bottom of the page. :)

I wish there were a way to get rid of the turbo unlocker message that shows up at every restart. Doesn't matter how one throws the switches, it still wants me to try to unlock my four cores which are always unlocked anyway and need no help and certainly no delay in the booting process to remind me that I really don't need to do anything but snarl at the message.