[SOLVED] How to partition a storage SSD (Not OS)

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Hey,

Quick question.

I have an m.2 drive that houses my OS and most used apps.

I also have a samsung 960 evo ssd that I use for storing everything else. I just put it into my new build and am having problems with how exactly your supposed to partition it. I figured I'd clean everything off so I formatted the drive and deleted the partitions leaving everything as "Unallocated Space". I guess that was a mistake because I couldn't even see the drive.

After that I booted into the windows 10 install utility and selected the option to create a new partition on the drive. It sort of worked. Now in file explorer I have the main drive + an additional drive that says MSR Reserved. While it's easy enough to just ignore it I'd prefer it not be there. Usually when I do a fresh install of windows 10 I "do" see that msr reserved partition on the screen where you select where to install windows, but I never see it in file explorer when logged in.

What is the correct way to set up the drive and just have it as a single large partition?

Solution
Actually, if you have the data backed up, a quick way to remove partitions is to unintialize the drive as it sounds like you tried. The next step is to go into Windows disk management and initialize the drive as a single large partition and format it.

RealBeast

Titan
Actually, if you have the data backed up, a quick way to remove partitions is to unintialize the drive as it sounds like you tried. The next step is to go into Windows disk management and initialize the drive as a single large partition and format it.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Can you post a screencap of your current Disk Management window?
This is probably an easy fix, but just to verify...