News How to Password Protect Folders and Files in Windows 11 or 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunSurfer

Distinguished
And if someone on the shared PC (say a mischievous kid) uninstalls Easy File Locker, what happens to the protected folder? And if the folder remains locked, and I reinstall Easy File Locker, does the new install "remembers" the old password?

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
This is how to use some 3rd party software and has nothing to do with Windows.

The way you do it in Windows is you give each family member an account and you learn how Windows permissions works. It's very easy to login and set it up so you type in a simple PIN. If you make it so not everyone is logged in as Administrator, you're less likely to run into issues like someone installing a couponing app full of spyware.

Next level is then sharing folders between computers on your network. If you've created multiple accounts, then you just need to make sure they exist the same way on each computer. You don't have active directory like at the office, so at home you just duplicate the users on each computer. Microsoft lets you make these actual Microsoft accounts too which has additional advantages. There is a little bit of fuss to make sure sharing permissions and folder permissions are set, but once you figure it out, you're pretty secure then.

Reactions: hotaru.hino
Sep 23, 2021
Just installed Easy File Locker (EFL2.2_Setup(x64)) on the latest version of Windows 10.

Added one folder following the instructions in the article.

When I click the Start Protection Button, nothing happens.

The button remains green, and the folder that I added is still accessible even though I have deselected accessible in the Files and Folders Setting window.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Nov 25, 2021
Is this article meant to be a joke? First, following the instructions as written does nothing whatsoever. Second, in the product's FAQ, they detail how you can bypass the protection if you forget your password, meaning anyone at all with access to your computer can gain access to supposedly secured folders. Do better research, this is embarrassing.

Apr 25, 2022
Just installed Easy File Locker (EFL2.2_Setup(x64)) on the latest version of Windows 10.

Added one folder following the instructions in the article.

When I click the Start Protection Button, nothing happens.

The button remains green, and the folder that I added is still accessible even though I have deselected accessible in the Files and Folders Setting window.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Same here. On Win 11 fresh install of OS and app, running Easy File Locker as admin the app is still stuck in "stopped' state. Looks like it happens to Win 10 users too. Junk.

And if someone on the shared PC (say a mischievous kid) uninstalls Easy File Locker, what happens to the protected folder? And if the folder remains locked, and I reinstall Easy File Locker, does the new install "remembers" the old password?
This is why you get the kid a Standard User account. Then they can't uninstall anything (at least what didn't get installed on their user folder)

Reactions: ThatMouse
Status
Not open for further replies.