[SOLVED] How to peak my Sata SSD drives?

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I just got Crucial MX500 2TB and I tried copying 1 tb of files all at once but it was only writing at about 240-180 MBs instead of peaking at max 550. Is that expected for SSD drives to do? If so how to peak them at higher speeds?

System Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700@ 3.60GHz
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology

Ram 16.0 GB Dual-Channel @ 1063MHz
CT8G4DFS8213.M8FB

Motherboard: Supermicro C7H270-CG-ML(CPU)

Graphics

ViewSonic XG2401(1920X1080@144Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti(ZOTAC INTERNATIONAL)

Optical Drives

Asus DRW-24D5MT

AUDIO
Realtek High Definition Audio

Storage

WD Blue 2TB(D: Drive)
Samsung 870 Evo(E: Drive)
Kingston A200(C: Drive)
Crucial MX500 2TB(F: Drive)

Solution
I just got Crucial MX500 2TB and I tried copying 1 tb of files all at once but it was only writing at about 240-180 MBs instead of peaking at max 550. Is that expected for SSD drives to do? If so how to peak them at higher speeds?
If you're copying from HDD to SSD, then HDD speed is the limiting factor.
You can't write to SSD faster than you're reading from HDD, since you're copying from HDD.
You can't write to SSD faster than you're reading from HDD, since you're copying from HDD.

Solution

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Copying from what to what?
How many files are in this "1TB"?

What performance result does CrystalDiskMark show?

I'm copying from my HDD to SDD. I have 377 files that totals to around 1 TB.

Crucial MX500

View: https://imgur.com/AXWDyMP

Samsung 870 Evo

View: https://imgur.com/slHlBZC

Can you level with me here on this. If the speeds of the SSD are within 500 mbs speeds, then how can the HDD read speeds affect the read speeds of that with SSD if its higher than HDD in terms of copying the files?

Can you level with me here on this. If the speeds of the SSD are within 500 mbs speeds, then how can the HDD read speeds affect the read speeds of that with SSD if its higher than HDD in terms of copying the files?
Because, to copy something from HDD, you have to read it from HDD first.
HDD read speed is slower than SSD write speed.
Therefore, when copying from HDD to SSD, transfer speed is limited by slowest device. That is HDD.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Because, to copy something from HDD, you have to read it from HDD first.
HDD read speed is slower than SSD write speed.
Therefore, when copying from HDD to SSD, transfer speed is limited by slowest device. That is HDD.

Correct me on this. My SSD was able to copy 300gb worth of data in just 2 hours where as my hdd took too long.

So does that mean the write speeds aren't affected in this?

USAFRet

Titan
Correct me on this. My SSD was able to copy 300gb worth of data in just 2 hours where as my hdd took too long.

Copy from what?

As above, performance is dictated by the slowest device in the chain.
Copying from HDD to SSD, the SSD write speed is not a factor. The HDD read speed is the limiting factor.
Or the USB connection.
Add in the fragmentation level and composition of the data on the HDD.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm copying from my HDD to SDD. I have 377 files that totals to around 1 TB.

Those CDM numbers are exactly where a SATA III drive should be.
There is nothing wrong.

If you're copying from a slow device to a fast device, copy speed equals to speed of slower device.
Since SSD write speed is larger than HDD read speed, SSD write speed advantage gets ignored.

You can't read from HDD fast enough to saturate SSD write speed.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
If you're copying from a slow device to a fast device, copy speed equals to speed of slower device.
Since SSD write speed is larger than HDD read speed, SSD write speed advantage gets ignored.

You can't read from HDD fast enough to saturate SSD write speed.

...I see.

But tell me something. I recall I copied a large section of files from HDD to HDD and it took nearly eight hours to copy them. But when I did the same but from HDD to SDD, it only took two hours to achieve this. How come?

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Different cache amount on the target HDD vs target SSD.

Were all of these drives internal?
Possibly different USB connections?

Yes the drives are internal especially the HDD which I have used earlier for my Steam Library. I recall backing up the entire disk drive folders from the internal to external and it took a very long time.

Worth noting that I copied from the internal to the external hard drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes the drives are internal especially the HDD which I have used earlier for my Steam Library. I recall backing up the entire disk drive folders from the internal to external and it took a very long time.

And any of the many different levels of USB could be the issue there.

"Slowest device in the chain" is not necessarily the physical drives.

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished

If it's an external drive connected via USB then it will always be slower to transfer files to because of limitations in usb transfer rates.

TRENDING THREADS