[SOLVED] How to place a wifi receiver at more than 3 metres from the PC... USB to RJ45 converter?

psaez84

Honorable
Jan 8, 2018
Hi, i have a computer and a wifi receiver, a new one, it's good, but it haves only a USB 3.0 input to connect it to the computer. So, I must use a USB 3.0 wire. The problem is that with USB 3.0 you can't use a cable length of more than 3 metres if you dont want to get connection problems and data loss due to interferences.

So, I'm searching a way to put this wifi receiver at more than 3 metres from the computer. I know that If you use RJ45 wire you dont have limitations but this wifi receiver only haves a USB 3.0 output to put a USB wire.

Then, it is possible to convert a usb 3.0 wire into a RJ45 wire with some converter?

I'm from spain, so I need to buy it at spain or european union to avoid extra taxes and customs problems.

Thank you very much

Solution
You can get a usb to rj45 converter BUT you can not get a USB to ethernet converter. There is a big difference from using the same cable to actually connecting it to a ethernet port on the pc. The way the data is transmitted is different on ethernet and USB in addition to it using different cable types.

So you would have pc---usb----box--ethernet cable---box----usb---wifi nic.

The USB versions of these extensions are rather expensive.

Your best option especially if you are trying to use a wifi source outside your house is to use a wireless bridge. Something like the ubiquiti loco nanostation. These are wifi receivers on ethernet and can be placed outdoor. They cost about $50 in most places and will be much less than...
Cost wise you are better off getting some form or repeater/bridge that can connect via ethernet. You might also get a cheap router that has client-bridge ability, this is kinda uncommon but if you can find one you can load dd-wrt on that will work also.

You can get a pair of devices that will take USB extended it over ethernet and convert it back but these are kinda expensive for ones that can do USB3.

Maybe consider powerline network instead to eliminate the wifi conpletely.

Reactions: gggplaya

psaez84

Honorable
Jan 8, 2018
I'm forzed to use Wifi in this situation, and I can't use repeaters, are not compatible with the mesh wifi of the house I'm connecting to (I'm sharing the wifi with my neigbour with permission)

then, it's not possible to buy a usb to rj45 converter?

You can get a usb to rj45 converter BUT you can not get a USB to ethernet converter. There is a big difference from using the same cable to actually connecting it to a ethernet port on the pc. The way the data is transmitted is different on ethernet and USB in addition to it using different cable types.

Your best option especially if you are trying to use a wifi source outside your house is to use a wireless bridge. Something like the ubiquiti loco nanostation. These are wifi receivers on ethernet and can be placed outdoor. They cost about $50 in most places and will be much less than buying a pair of USB3 extenders.

There are other brands if you can not get ubiquiti where you are. Just look for a outdoor wireless bridge.

Solution

psaez84

Honorable
Jan 8, 2018

Your best option especially if you are trying to use a wifi source outside your house is to use a wireless bridge. Something like the ubiquiti loco nanostation. These are wifi receivers on ethernet and can be placed outdoor. They cost about $50 in most places and will be much less than buying a pair of USB3 extenders.

There are other brands if you can not get ubiquiti where you are. Just look for a outdoor wireless bridge.

Do you mean "WSD bridge" protocol? those products like ubiquiti loco nanostation uses "WSD bridge"? I already tryed using that protocol, using a router as a WSD bridge repeater, but it was impossible, as I told previously, the wifi connection of the house is a special mesh wifi, and unfortunatelly that mesh wifi is not compatible with WSD bridge protocol extenders.

Or maybe those products like ubiquiti loco nanostation doesn't use WSD bridge protocol?

It is WDS and mesh unit can use WDS it is in someway impossible to not use WDS.

But that doesn't matter you are using a single device so it is a simple wifi bridge. WDS is only used when there are multiple devices trying to share a single wifi connection. Ubiquiti also can also connect in "router" mode which pretty much means it can connect multiple devices to any wifi network even ones that don't support WDS.

Buy a wifi router that can bridge to LAN.

Some ASUS routers allow you to do what they call "Media Bridge" mode. This is not a repeater, but acts just like what you want. It allows you to connect a PC to wifi via the ethernet cable. It does not offer any kind of wifi access. See here: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043884/

This is probably the cheapest ASUS router that has Media Bridge Mode. Asus AX55u or AX56u but the AX56u is the better one to get since it's supported by Merlin firmware.