How to Play Doom Eternal on Integrated Graphics

You really should be using faster ram. DDR4 2400 is way too slow. I would suspect bumping up to DDR4 3200 would improve the results. The 3200g being a pure quad core might not be very helpful either.
Part of the point of this was to test without using a high-end setup. I've got a full dive into performance going live shortly that will show a lot more data (including 3400G Vega 11 with DDR4-3200). Cheers!

twotwotwo

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I've got a 3200G in my little work machine. Kinda fun that it can theoretically play the shiny new FPS.

I bet some better cheap configs are possible when desktop Renoir drops. I'm not sure if there'll be a cheap enough Renoir SKU, but it wouldn't shock me at all to see e.g. 3400G prices drop when it officially becomes previous-gen.

I've got a 3200G in my little work machine. Kinda fun that it can theoretically play the shiny new FPS.

I bet some better cheap configs are possible when desktop Renoir drops. I'm not sure if there'll be a cheap enough Renoir SKU, but it wouldn't shock me at all to see e.g. 3400G prices drop when it officially becomes previous-gen.
Renoir is going to be hard to recommend as a desktop APU gaming solution, knowing that something MUCH better (Zen 3 with RDNA 2 perhaps, or at least RDNA) is coming. Generally speaking, for desktops, I'd just get a cheap CPU like Ryzen 5 2600 (3600 if you can manage the budget) and a modest graphics card. Sure, it's twice as much as a Ryzen 5 APU, but then gaming performance is typically about 3X better as well. RX 5500 XT with Ryzen 5 2600 blows a 3400G away for gaming purposes.

twotwotwo

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Generally speaking, for desktops, I'd just get a cheap CPU...and a modest graphics card.

Right, I'm not claiming you'd broadly recommend them for gaming machines, but desktop APUs interest both LowSpecGamer and me, so seemed reasonable enough to discuss them here 🤷‍♂️

Right, I'm not claiming you'd broadly recommend them for gaming machines, but desktop APUs interest both LowSpecGamer and me, so seemed reasonable enough to discuss them here 🤷‍♂️
I thought we were discussing things. I was just giving my thoughts on Renoir. The CPU aspect looks good/great (Zen 2 in a mobile chip). I just wish, having seen the difference RDNA makes in many games compared to GCN, that Renoir had gotten a GPU upgrade as well.

Also, I'm very much looking forward to APUs that aren't limited to 4-core/8-thread! I don't know if Renoir is going to have the same x8 PCIe limitation as Picasso and Raven Ridge APUs. I suppose it would matter a lot less if you pair Renoir with a PCIe Gen4 GPU like Navi.

Still, I'm hoping Zen 3 finally ends up as a universally faster solution compared to Coffee Lake (and Comet Lake / Rocket Lake).

artk2219

Distinguished
Renoir is going to be hard to recommend as a desktop APU gaming solution, knowing that something MUCH better (Zen 3 with RDNA 2 perhaps, or at least RDNA) is coming. Generally speaking, for desktops, I'd just get a cheap CPU like Ryzen 5 2600 (3600 if you can manage the budget) and a modest graphics card. Sure, it's twice as much as a Ryzen 5 APU, but then gaming performance is typically about 3X better as well. RX 5500 XT with Ryzen 5 2600 blows a 3400G away for gaming purposes.

The builds I was doing a few months ago were ryzen 5 1600's (they were $80 at microcenter) paired with an r9 390(x)'s or rx 480\580 I was finding tons of deals for them between $60 and $80. Those two together were forming the base of a solid build for 140 to 160 USD. Throw in RAM (65), an open box b350 or b450 motherboard (60 to 70), a decent 550w PSU (45), an inland 240 SSD (35), a 2tb HDD (50), and a case (40) and the whole build was coming up at 435 to 465. Thats an awesome price for a build that will stay relevant for years, and has room for cpu, gpu, etc upgrades that will extend its life even further.

Last edited:
Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU
The builds I was doing a few months ago were ryzen 5 1600's (they were $80 at microcenter) paired with an r9 390(x)'s or rx 480\580 I was finding tons of deals for them between $60 and $80. Those two together were forming the base of a solid build for 140 to 160 USD. Throw in RAM (65), an open box b350 or b450 motherboard (60 to 70), a decent 550w PSU (45), an inland 240 SSD (35), a 2tb HDD (50), and a case (40) and the whole build was coming up at 435 to 465. Thats an awesome price for a build that will stay relevant for years, and has room for cpu, gpu, etc upgrades that will extend its life even further.
Yeah, that's my feeling as well. You're better off with a 6-core/12-thread CPU and a dedicated GPU than any of the AMD APUs -- on desktop at least. I think Renoir will do quite nicely on laptops, though I still wish it had RDNA instead of GCN/Vega. I'd probably go with a 1TB SSD and just drop the HDD for a bit more money ($20 maybe?), but you can put together a relatively potent gaming rig for $500.

TRENDING THREADS