Question How to play media from USB connected to 'slave' router?

Jun 14, 2019
Hi all
weird situation I have here, and hope someone can please help.

The main problem I have is trying to use this app called Musiccast (Yamaha) to stream flac music from my network hard drive. I would like it to show folders and subfolders (like it used to when connected to my ASUS RTAC68U). However, now that I have moved house the new modem/router provided by the ISP seems to be causing the Musiccast app to only show Artist, Genre, etc which makes it impossible to find all my subfolder albums.

However, when I navigate to the same drive on a Windows PC, the folder structure shows.

The new router (Technicolor TG789) provided by my ISP, only has options to select or deselect File Server and DLNA. I've tried all combinations.

I tried the new router as bridged, to my ASUS, but then the VOIP phone didn't work!

So is there a way of perhaps setting up my old ASUS router as a slave to the new router, plugging in the USB drive into the ASUS, and be able to access the music on there? And would that then produce the folder/subfolder structure that it used to when it was my primary router?

Thank you in advance :)
cheers

You can connect the WAN port of your ASUS router to one of the LAN ports of your new router, and use it as you did before.

I have done this several times. Just change your LAN-facing DHCP pool (on the new router) to something like a 10-dot subnet, before dong this, and things will be fine. You'll end-up with a 192.168-subnet on the LAN-facing side of the ASUS router, if you leave the configuration settings alone (provided that this is how it was originally configured).

Jun 14, 2019
Hi, and thank you both for your replies :)
If I try the second option above (Using ASUS as an AP), I would have a different SSID to the primary router I guess?
Then I would connect the Yamaha app to this secondary WiFi?

But how would I 'see' the HDD from other devices connected to my existing network? Would I also need to connect these existing devices to the 'new' secondary SSID, or could they still see the HDD somehow?

thanks again :)

Jun 14, 2019
It seemed to work for a little while, and then I couldn't access the wifi on the old router any more. Also, couldn't actually log into the old router. Despite using a cable from PC directly into one of the LAN sockets on the router, and typing in the LAN IP add I manually typed in...

While it did work for a short while, I was able to log in my Yamaha app to the old router's wifi signal and was getting the correct folder/subfolder structure :)

Close, but I can't work out why it's not staying working...