How to play the CellFactor demo w/out a PhysX PPU

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
So the CellFactor demo requires us to go out and buy a PhysX card, right?

WRONG!

Download the demo.

Edit the shortcut (right click it, choose properties, go to shortcut and then target) by adding "EnablePhysX=false" at the end. This is case sensitive.

The CellFactor High Graphics shortcut target should read:

"X:Cellfactor DemoSystemGameCellFactor.exe" FullScreen=true FullScreenWidth=1024 FullScreenHeight=768 HDREnabled=true DropShadows=true MaxLowRezDropShadows=20 MaxHighRezDropShadows=4 StaticShadow=true EnablePhysX=false

Note that the X is the drive you installed it on, typically "C".

The CellFactor Low Graphics shortcut target should read:

"X:Cellfactor DemoSystemGameCellFactor.exe" FullScreen=true FullScreenWidth=800 FullScreenHeight=600 AnisotropyLevel=1 HDREnabled=false DropShadows=false MaxLowRezDropShadows=0 MaxHighRezDropShadows=0 StaticShadow=false EnablePhysX=false

Again, the X is the drive letter of the drive you installed it on.

I thought this was a cool thing to pass on to everyone. I've tested it and the game actually runs well on my system. It's also cool to know that you DO NOT need a PhysX processor, whereas Ageia tells us that we do.

For screenshots and more info, go here

Try it out and let me know what you think!

EDIT: If you have any problems, go here for info on Ageia drivers. I had no problems at all when I went to play but you never know...

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
So basically ageia is trying to sell us something we don't need cause we already have it. Hey would'nt it make more sense that amd or intel released a patch for dual core procs so that one core can do the normal work while the other can specialize in physics processing would'nt that work better than an add in board? If you think about it it makes sense cause the fsb on the slowest dual core proc(805)is 533 mhz 5 times faster than pci bus and if the each core has access to the system ram whuch we will estimate at 1 gig than it should beat the ageia PhysX hands down!

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Thank you for the information !!! Now for a quick question... Is the game any good ? I just want to know before I run out and ummm buy it... yeah thats what I was thinking about doing lol

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Yea... but i still have the installation file.
Anyone want to set me up with an upload account?

PM me. It's about half a gig.

Something is messed up for me though... take a look.
All these textures are just flying around. Feels like no clip mode, but i cant fly around.
I also can't turn off HDR, b/c i have to restart at which point it detects i dont have a crapgeia card.

ageia.jpg

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
The game really isn't all that great to tell you the truth. According to the site that I got this info from, even people who have a PPU still get very low framerates. The demo just seems like it was rushed out as soon as possible just so people with a PPU could actually have something to use it for. Of course, that's probably because that's what actually happened.

It kinda backfired on Ageia when they came out with a "PPU-Only" demo that:
1.) Someone was clever enough to 'crack' to allow anyone to play.
2.) Upon having that 'crack' we now know that the PPU isn't really helping things much at all.

I imagine that there's a lot of people over at Ageia who are feeling pretty stupid right now.

So, in answer to your question, I'd definitely try to download the demo before buying it (if they get it back up and running). Of course, it's gonna be a while till the full game comes out, anyway.

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Hey Master are you trying to play the high or low graphics settings? If your screenshot is from the high graphics setting then you might try changing the shortcut target to say HDREnabled=false instead of true. I saw from your sig that you're running an x850xt which doesn't support HDR. If the game is trying to run HDR and your card doesn't support then that might be part of the cause of your problems.

Just a guess.

EDIT: Have you tried the link to the Ageia driver info yet?

xgas

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Do you have laag during really big explosions? does you FPS drop to 10 FPS?
And the method of running the game without the card if quite OLD, like weeks ago, and here I thought everyone knew.

And I must say this:

GPU PHYSICS IS ONLY EYE-CANDY, you cannot interact with it, nor get any gameplay tru GPU PHYSICS/Eye candy physics e.g. fire effects. Cause no data can go backward tru a GPU(For now), if it can, forget about getting 7 Tera Flops per sec on a Quad SLI config.

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Do you have laag during really big explosions? does you FPS drop to 10 FPS?
And the method of running the game without the card if quite OLD, like weeks ago, and here I thought everyone knew.

And I must say this:

GPU PHYSICS IS ONLY EYE-CANDY, you cannot interact with it, nor get any gameplay tru GPU PHYSICS/Eye candy physics e.g. fire effects. Cause no data can go backward tru a GPU(For now), if it can, forget about getting 7 Tera Flops per sec on a Quad SLI config.

1. Yes, there is lag during big explosions. However, according to this the framerate on this demo is going to suck regardless of whether a PPU is installed or not. (That's my third post of this link, by the way. Try looking at it sometime.)

2. If this method is an old one, why didn't you post it before me? I checked all PPU posts before submitting this topic. It wasn't in any of them. That being said, why would you think that everyone already knew?

3. GPU physics? In the absence of a PPU it's the CPU which takes on the physics load, not the graphics card. It has only been theorized that the GPU will be able to handle physics. It's not a reality yet.

P.S. It's a good thing that you edited your post. My 4th point was going to be that yes, you can play it in fullscreen.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Dude, we don't wanna know what you do on your spare time and definitely don't want to see what you and your bestfriend did on springbreak! Behave yourself! 8O

Anyways, well that's weird they cut the download for the game, maybe they want people to buy the card cuz nobody's buying that crap with it's crappy premier game GRAW.

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Anyways, well that's weird they cut the download for the game, maybe they want people to buy the card cuz nobody's buying that crap with it's crappy premier game GRAW.

Yeah, I think that it's shady as hell. Something's going on over at Ageia. I think they may be realizing that they made a gigantic mistake in releasing this "revolutionary" card with absolutely nothing to support it yet. Now they're just trying to cover their a$$e$ by getting rid of the evidence...

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yep, they (Ageia) got caught red handed with their physx card scam. Reviews have proved it that it causes a slowdown of the system to some even playing GRAW and getting 10-15fps. 8O That's pretty ridiculous and I was really hoping that these cards could boost performance by taking over the physics task from the cpu. Instead it backfired, $300 piece of underclocking tool that's what it is. They (Ageia) need to get their head out of their asses and start thinking a solution for this big problem, that could be their company's demise.

And now that someone found out to run the game (Cellfactor) without the need to purchase the $300 underclocking card, they stop the download. Good thing I have saved mine, hopefully some server out there could distribute this cool demo. Right now it is better to have a $600 cpu than a $300 cpu with a $300 physx card or even with a $600 w/ $300 underclocking Ageia card.

Now we see how weak this physics card is and Im hoping that Nvidia could come up with something better and get rid of this noob company selling a $300 piece of paper weight.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I think the PPU just needs time to mature. This reminds me of the old 3D cards that came out right after the Voodoo1... I cant remember the company who made it but I had one built into my computer and all 3D games ran faster if I turned off 3D acceleration lol So dont be too hard on Agea im thinking with either some driver improvements or another version of the card (Does PCI have enough bandwidth to do physics ???) maybe a PCIe 1X ? I think that this whole PPU thing would be alot better.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Hey Master are you trying to play the high or low graphics settings? If your screenshot is from the high graphics setting then you might try changing the shortcut target to say HDREnabled=false instead of true. I saw from your sig that you're running an x850xt which doesn't support HDR. If the game is trying to run HDR and your card doesn't support then that might be part of the cause of your problems.

Just a guess.

EDIT: Have you tried the link to the Ageia driver info yet?

Turned HDR off.. thanxs! Works a little better now, i can actually see whats going on in some places. :lol:
I dont see any drivers on that link, says he used up his bandwidth already.

Still though, weird textures flying around everywhere. you have a command to turn of the shadows maybe?

look at this...pretty freaky.
The car is there one minute the next time its getting sucked in by some warp lol

ageia3.jpg

ageia2.jpg

I think it might be an ATI graphics issue.
Anyone get this working on an ati card?

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
You could try editing the shortcut target "dropshadows" part but I can't guarantee it will work.

I have it running on my x1900xt, so it's probably not an ATI problem. Maybe it has to/is trying to run w/ shader model 3.0? I haven't heard anything about it requiring SM3 but if it did that might explain something.

You can try running your card at stock speeds. Maybe that'll help.

If none of these things can solve it then I have to admit that I'm stumped with this one. Of course it was never really intended to run with the 'crack', so I guess we should just take what we can get.

You're not really missing much. Just some damn-near unkillable bots and craptastic gameplay. :D