[SOLVED] How to plug fans on psu?

G0LD

Prominent
Sep 10, 2019
I bought a 3 fan of Amazon ( 3 pin connector or molex) and i would like to connect them to my psu because i only have one "sys_fan" on my motherboard and its for my defaut case fan and i was wondering do i plug the 3 molex cable back to back (on the back of each other) or do i plug them on 3 different molex cable?

Solution
Which ever way you want to, whichever is easiest for you. Where you place the fans may not reach a back to back, so 2x adjacent fans may be chained together and the third by itself.

Unless your case fan has a molex plug as well, I'd leave it attached to the motherboard or you'll need to buy a 3pin to molex adapter to add it to your molex chain.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends entirely on what you want to accomplish and the fans bought and owned.

If case fan is standard 3pin, and you buy 3pin fans, you could use a 2-way splitter and get 2 fans controlled, the remaining 2 would need either a second sys_fan header or connect direct to the psu or maybe case fan controller.

If the fan is 3pin and you buy 4pin pwm, you have 2 options. Use all 3 pwm on a 3way splitter to the header and power the existing fan from the psu or power all pwm from the psu and control only the existing fan on the header. You can't mix the fans.

If the existing fan is 4pin pwm, and you buy pwm, use a 4way powered splitter that will get power from the psu, but change speeds by pwm.

If you buy molex fans (very rare and very cheap built) it's psu only.

Reactions: G0LD

G0LD

Prominent
Sep 10, 2019
Depends entirely on what you want to accomplish and the fans bought and owned.

If case fan is standard 3pin, and you buy 3pin fans, you could use a 2-way splitter and get 2 fans controlled, the remaining 2 would need either a second sys_fan header or connect direct to the psu or maybe case fan controller.

If the fan is 3pin and you buy 4pin pwm, you have 2 options. Use all 3 pwm on a 3way splitter to the header and power the existing fan from the psu or power all pwm from the psu and control only the existing fan on the header. You can't mix the fans.

If the existing fan is 4pin pwm, and you buy pwm, use a 4way powered splitter that will get power from the psu, but change speeds by pwm.

If you buy molex fans (very rare and very cheap built) it's psu only.
my fans have 3 pin and molex but I don't have any sys_fan remaining so i decided to plug on my psu as molex but do i plug the 3 fan back to each other and plug only one end to the psu or do I plug them on 3 molex separately?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pick one. Either 3 pin or molex, not both.

So you can use all 3 on a single molex chain or molex to molex etc. But straight to psu = permanent max speed, no control.

Your fans are @ 3w-4w, and molex is good for upto 5A (60w) per plug upto 120w per chain. It won't matter how you plug them into molex at @ 9-12w total.

If you want any control you'll need a fan controller.

G0LD

Prominent
Sep 10, 2019
Pick one. Either 3 pin or molex, not both.

So you can use all 3 on a single molex chain or molex to molex etc. But straight to psu = permanent max speed, no control.

Your fans are @ 3w-4w, and molex is good for upto 5A (60w) per plug upto 120w per chain. It won't matter how you plug them into molex at @ 9-12w total.

If you want any control you'll need a fan controller.
Ok so i can do a chain or all separately it doesn't matter. Is it ok if my default case fan is plugged on the 3 pin "sys_fan" while my 3 aftermarket fan are plug on the psu?

G0LD

Prominent
Sep 10, 2019
Won't matter at all. It's powered by the mains power 20+4 pin instead of directly to psu. You will only be able to control the fan plugged into the motherboard not any fan direct to psu. Hope they are quiet fans.
Do you recommend me chain or separately? And do I plug another fan on the "sys_fan" instead of the default case fan?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Which ever way you want to, whichever is easiest for you. Where you place the fans may not reach a back to back, so 2x adjacent fans may be chained together and the third by itself.

Unless your case fan has a molex plug as well, I'd leave it attached to the motherboard or you'll need to buy a 3pin to molex adapter to add it to your molex chain.

Solution

G0LD

Prominent
Sep 10, 2019

Okay so it wont do anything if my default case fan is plugged on the motherboard. Thank you so much for helping me. Thank you again!