How to plug HDMI cable into my Geforce graphics card?

TylerPCdublo

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017
I have a Geforce GTX 1060 graphics card. When I play WoW, The FPS runs pretty low for the PC I have, and I've been asked if my monitor is plugged in to my graphics card or the motherboard. They said that if it isn't plugged into the graphics card, the graphics wont even really be utilized. How do I know if my HDMI cable is plugged into the graphics card or not. It us currently plugged into one of 4 ports. The other 3 have a cap in them which I am able to take off. Should I take the caps off and see if it can be plugged into them? I really want to be using my graphics card on my screen not using the weak CPU.

The PC that I have is this: https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-GXiVR8060A2-Desktop-i5-7400-7200RPM/dp/B01MT0781S/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B66P885MTHBC6N53D162

It says - NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB Video Card | 1x DVI | 1x HDMI | 1x Display Port

Which indicated to me that there is an HDMI cable that can go into the card.

I just want to know how to check to see if it is plugged into the motherboard or the GPU.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
You are probably plugged into the gfx card OK. That would be the only one that has covers on the unused ports.
And if the HDMI cables fits, it is the HDMI port. All ports produce the same video. Here is the back of a PC like yours where I pointed out the video ports.
Verify you are in the correct video port, then we'll see what we can do for your fps issue. And list the resolution of your monitor.

TylerPCdublo

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017

The thing is, I don't know which is which! I don't know what the gfx port looks like. I sound stupid, I know. I don't know if it's plugged into it already. How do I know if it's plugged into the motherboard or gfx card port??

TylerPCdublo

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017

Out of the four ports that are there, it seems the hdmi cable only fits into one. How do I know it's going directly into the card? It looks like it is but I could just be hopeful.

Jay Lavistria

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

The motherboard io is the stuff that holds the internet cable, USBs, and etc.

Below that are your pcie ports (including the GPU.) If your HDMI cable is connected to ports below the motherboard plugs, which are obviously separated from the video card on the bottom, you are using the video card to render.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You are probably plugged into the gfx card OK. That would be the only one that has covers on the unused ports.
And if the HDMI cables fits, it is the HDMI port. All ports produce the same video. Here is the back of a PC like yours where I pointed out the video ports.
Verify you are in the correct video port, then we'll see what we can do for your fps issue. And list the resolution of your monitor.

Solution
Feb 6, 2019