How to plug in my monitor?

Peppercornflakes

Honorable
Jun 16, 2014
I recently moved computers and I need to help to know where to plug in the cables to which end. I have the a cable which has the blue "VGA" ends on both ends but one has a digital jack connected to one end. Which end do I plug onto the tower case and which one into the monitor?

Rapajez

Distinguished
Do you know the model # of your monitor and video card?

In general, if your monitor and computer have DVI or HDMI ports, you want to use those instead, as VGA will severely limit your picture quality. Get a new cable.

Otherwise, if you have a video card in your new rig, be sure to plug into that. If you're saying you only have VGA from your monitor, you may need to use a VGA to DVI converter to plug it into your video card.

Peppercornflakes

Honorable
Jun 16, 2014

I decided to buy an HDMI to DVI-D cable but my monitor is just blinking red where the power button is. My monitor is an LG Flatron E2242 1920x1080 display that is pretty old (bought about 4 years ago), my graphics card is an EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2762-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card. I plugged in the HDMI to the graphics card and the DVI-D to the monitor. No luck.

Peppercornflakes

Honorable
Jun 16, 2014

I decided to buy an HDMI to DVI-D cable but my monitor is just blinking red where the power button is. My monitor is an LG Flatron E2242 1920x1080 display that is pretty old (bought about 4 years ago), my graphics card is an EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2762-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card. I plugged in the HDMI to the graphics card and the DVI-D to the monitor. No luck.