[SOLVED] How to position my psu?

Aug 27, 2020
Hi. I am probably going to buy a new psu soon. I have a pre-built pc (hp pavilion)
And i think my psu has gone bad after i overheated my pc pretty bad.

So im thinking of buying a Corsair RM650 650 W ATX Black or something very similar but my pc case has the fan hole on the backside of the case and not like downwards or upwards so the fan will just not be getting air. Since i can point the fan upwards but where should it get air from?

I have no clue if there a vent on the psu which can get air in from the backside of the psu but anyways do you think it would just go fine and if not do you have any recommendations? What should i do?
Heres a video explaining much better how my pc case is working.

Solution
If you place a standard ATX PSU with the fan facing up, it will draw air from inside the case & exhaust it out the hole in the back. The 'vent' on the back of the PSU is for exhaust. That's the only way to do it here - Do not place the fan side against the solid surface.

Air flow is really all the PSU needs. Ideally it would be cool air from outside the case (bringing air in from underneath), but the flow is more important than the temperature (within reason, of course). PSUs used to vent from the inside all the time when they were mounted at the top of cases.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If you place a standard ATX PSU with the fan facing up, it will draw air from inside the case & exhaust it out the hole in the back. The 'vent' on the back of the PSU is for exhaust. That's the only way to do it here - Do not place the fan side against the solid surface.

Air flow is really all the PSU needs. Ideally it would be cool air from outside the case (bringing air in from underneath), but the flow is more important than the temperature (within reason, of course). PSUs used to vent from the inside all the time when they were mounted at the top of cases.

Solution
Aug 27, 2020

Ahhh now I understand! Thanks!