Question How to power an SSD?

Aug 27, 2019
I'm thinking of getting an SSD to put my os (Win 10) and some games on, however, I don't know how to power it. It will be replacing an Optical Disk Drive which was powered by Slimline Sata, and the new SSD will be powered by normal sata power, so can I get an adapter from slimline Sata to normal sata, or if not, can I get a pcie expansion card for a normal sata power cable? Also, how would I transfer my OS to the ssd, and I've also seen that it says to connect the drive with the OS to sata 0 on my motherboard?

Edit: I forgot to mention that for some reason my current HDD is powered using a normal sata power, but that was extended using another male sata power plug, so is there enough power to power both a 1tb HDD and a probably 240gb sad from 1 sata power cable with an extension

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019
Oh, just seen a slot for an SSD that looks the same size as the disk reader it's going to replace, and from the looks of it, it uses the correct power for the SSD on the inside and plugs in to the slimline Sata on the outside?? but I'm not entirely sure if it's the same. This? It does have the same outside bit so it looks the same from the outside which leads me to believe it would be correct for my pc on the inside

Aug 27, 2019
If that DVD drive has normal SATA connections (highly likely), the SSD should work.

What size/make/model SSD are you looking at??
I'm looking at this, it's just the cheapest 240gb one I could find, I think 2.5" and the other link from above has the cables that are used currently (the ports on the outside)

Aug 27, 2019
Ab
On to:
"Also, how would I transfer my OS to the ssd, and I've also seen that it says to connect the drive with the OS to sata 0 on my motherboard? "

How much space is consumed on your current HDD?
About 500gb /1tb, I'm not planning to move fully onto SSD because I only want it to boot faster, which I assumed was down to a slow HDD not slow RAM, I have 2x4gb sticks ddr3 1600MHz I think in dual channel

Aug 27, 2019
There are both power adapters for slimline sata drives and there are also 2.5" adapters that will slot right into the Slimline bay since you are replacing it anyway.

Like this one
https://www.newegg.com/p/35G-0029-00007

Just check the size of the drive bay there are 12.7mm on older systems and 9.5mm on newer
I don't understand what you're trying to say with this??
It's 12.7mm tall (I assume that's what its measuring)

Aug 27, 2019
Here's the thing...you can't move 'part of it'.

For a 240GB drive, you need to reduce the actual consumed space to well below 200GB.
It's 500gb used total, including all of my games and everything.
There's a file folder called windows that can't possibly get any more than 20gb, can that not just be moved onto the SSD and it will boot from that?

Aug 27, 2019
You need to move, delete, uninstall whatever...to get that actual consumed space to below 200GB.
Then and only then is an actual migration possible.
If I got a 1tb SSD, how would I get it to work?
I have the data cables, if I want to run it the OS from the SSD, do I need to plug the SSD into sata 0? And the original question of how do I power it

USAFRet

Titan
If I got a 1tb SSD, how would I get it to work?
I have the data cables, if I want to run it the OS from the SSD, do I need to plug the SSD into sata 0? And the original question of how do I power it
If you get a 1TB SSD, sure we can do this.
Details to follow if that's what you want to do.

Power? What actual cables are connected to the current optical drive?
Almost certainly SATA data and SATA power.
Use those.

Aug 27, 2019
If you get a 1TB SSD, sure we can do this.
Details to follow if that's what you want to do.

Power? What actual cables are connected to the current optical drive?
Almost certainly SATA data and SATA power.
Use those.
Sata and slimline Sata, one with only a black and red wire coming out of it