Question How to power new card

drbob101

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
I bought a used Radeon 7950 p/n 7121A10000g card.

It has a 6 pin and 8 pin female plugs. I have one available 6 pin and 2 unused sata plugs. Can I use a 2 sata to 8 pin?

The power supply is HP
DPS-460DB-5

Thank you

I bought a used Radeon 7950 p/n 7121A10000g card.

It has a 6 pin and 8 pin female plugs. I have one available 6 pin and 2 unused sata plugs. Can I use a 2 sata to 8 pin?

The power supply is HP
DPS-460DB-5

Thank you
It doesn't have the connectors because it wasn't made to do the job you want it to do. If the prebuilt has standard motherboard connections you could replace the power supply. Adapters are not a good option.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Pytheus

Prominent
Oct 28, 2020
I would never by a prebuilt from a major manufacturer, most if it are parts only useful to that system. It's better to build your own if you want to upgrade anything without a hassle.

So, at HP support the board is listed as:
Manufacturer: IPIWB-PB
HP: Pittsburgh

An image search shows what appears to be a typical mATX board with 24-pin motherboard and 8-pin EPS12V connections. You should be able to use a regular power supply with it. It wouldn't hurt to open your case and see if the image I linked appears to match, just to be sure. You can also check the label on the power supply to see if the model number matches this image I found. Let me know if you find any discrepancies and we'll do some more research. You can avoid all this by building your own system in the future.

Reactions: RodroX

drbob101

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011

An image search shows what appears to be a typical mATX board with 24-pin motherboard and 8-pin EPS12V connections. You should be able to use a regular power supply with it. It wouldn't hurt to open your case and see if the image I linked appears to match, just to be sure. You can also check the label on the power supply to see if the model number matches this image I found. Let me know if you find any discrepancies and we'll do some more research. You can avoid all this by building your own system in the future.
Thank you very much for your thorough response. I will verify this at my office in a little while.

this PC serves me well for my needs except that a 3D program I use for dentistry has started to crash a lot. The software company analyses the crash report and repeatedly says it’s my video card. I updated drivers on the stock card and no love. I just maxed out ram at 32gb and want to get a video card with at least 3gb on board.

These are the hardware specs from the Software company.

drbob101

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011

• Operating System: Windows 10 Home/Professional 64 bit or OS X 10.13 (High Sierra) or newer
  • Processor: Quad Core Intel i7 or comparable
  • RAM: At least 16 GB
  • Video Card: dedicated NVidia or AMD card, at least 3 GB video RAM (e.g. NVidia GeForce GTX 650, AMD Radeon HD 7750, …)
  • Monitor: 21 inch, resolution at least 1920x1080
  • Hard Disk: 5 GB of free space

drbob101

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011

That I’d the identical PS. I have a pic of the label but don’t know how to post it. That is the correct model number though

• Operating System: Windows 10 Home/Professional 64 bit or OS X 10.13 (High Sierra) or newer
  • Processor: Quad Core Intel i7 or comparable
  • RAM: At least 16 GB
  • Video Card: dedicated NVidia or AMD card, at least 3 GB video RAM (e.g. NVidia GeForce GTX 650, AMD Radeon HD 7750, …)
  • Monitor: 21 inch, resolution at least 1920x1080
  • Hard Disk: 5 GB of free space
According to this spec sheet the Radeon HD 7950 you bought has a TDP of 200 watts. You'll want a 500-600 watt power supply with two (6+2) 8-pin PCIe connectors for your video card. Only thing I can't tell you about is the mounting of a new power supply. I don't know what HP has going on there. I don't anticipate any issues but you never know with pre-builts.

If you want a reliable power supply that is cost effective, the Corsair CX550 is decent. I don't recommend buying a used power supply. It should be noted that the 'pandemic' has limited supplies and prices are higher right now for all power supplies. Many popular models are unattainable.

Reactions: thefxgamingrules

drbob101

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
According to this spec sheet the Radeon HD 7950 you bought has a TDP of 200 watts. You'll want a 500-600 watt power supply with two (6+2) 8-pin PCIe connectors for your video card. Only thing I can't tell you about is the mounting of a new power supply. I don't know what HP has going on there. I don't anticipate any issues but you never know with pre-builts.

If you want a reliable power supply that is cost effective, the Corsair CX550 is decent. I don't recommend buying a used power supply. It should be noted that the 'pandemic' has limited supplies and prices are higher right now for all power supplies. Many popular models are unattainable.
Thank you. Ordering one now. The cabling specs are confusing. The video card has an 8 and a 6 plug. Besides the necessary plugs for the rest of the pc, does it look like the Corsair 550 comes with everything I’ll need?

drbob101

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011

Corsair CX Series 550 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply (CP-9020102-NA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B72W0A2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_LwORFbYPXYSDJ

drbob101

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Good news! The Corsair installed effortlessly and powers the Radeon just fine.

Thank you very much for the help!!

ONe issue. I run two dell monitors on this machhine. I had used DVI and a display port off the old card. This card has hdmi and DVI. The DVI output is fine one screen but I get nothing out of the hdmi on the second screen. It doesn't appear on the Radeon setup, just the one monitor on DVI

I am using a hdmi to display port cable for this monitor that isnt working. The monitor has DVI and display port.

There are two other ports on the video card that I am not sure what they are.

ANy help is appreciated,

Thank you

drbob101

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Actually it's not guaranteed. Cables can be problematic and conversion cables/adapters even more. You can try a proper cable of mini dp to dp.
What I meant is that if the cable was compatible and fine, do I have to change anything in settings or should the display just be recognized?