Question How to prevent a Gamepad from Instantly disconnecting and reconnecting itself when connected to PC?

Feb 7, 2021
I have a Generic DS4 Wired Controller which was programmed to instantly disconnect as a "DS4 Wired Controller" and reconnect as a "PC Gamepad" if it is connected to a PC but connects as a "DS4 Wired Controller" when connected to a Console. Problem I'm having with this is that if it is connected to a PC as a "PC Gamepad" it doesn't work at its full potential. A lot of major features are disabled such as Gryoscope, vibration etc...

Is there a way I could prevent it from disconnecting as a "DS4 Wired Controller" when it detects that it is connected on a PC?

Backstory:
( I bought a Generic DS4 Controller and I've been using it on my PC for a while now. The pc recognises it as a "PC Gamepad". Which I didn't mind at first because I didn't really know what that really meant. Until the other day where I plugged it in and for some reason it connected as a "DS4 wired Controller". I think i was holding down some button on the controller when I plugged it in which triggered it to do so, I don't know.

Anyways to my surprise it had a lot of amazing features I didn't know the controller had just by connecting itself that way. But unfortunately that all stopped once I disconnected the Controller and now I'm failing to connect it back again as a DS4 Controller.

I've came to realise that when I connect the controller it instantly connects and disconnects itself 2 times then connects again the 3rd time where it now starts working as a "PC Gamepad".

I went to https://gamepad-tester.com and also used an application called x260ce to try check what happens when it is being connected and there I found out that whenever I connect the controller it first connects as a "DS4 Wired controller" then instantly disconnects then reconnects itself as a "PS3 Controller" but again disconnects instantly. Then it instantly connects for the 3rd time but this time as a "PC Gamepad".) .

How do I prevent this from happening and let it not disconnect after connecting as a "DS4 Wired Controller"?
Any help would be useful. Even if it means reprogramming the controller. If that's even possible.

Can I maybe set my PC to try prevent a device from disconnecting if a certain HID Device ID is detected?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

By generic, are we looking square at the controller bundled with the PS4? If so, you might want to read through this article. If not, you should parse a link to the controller you've purchased(and trying to work with).

Thanks for the warm welcome

By Generic. I mean that its a controller built like the original PS4 controller but it's not. DS4windows doesn't detect this controller and even if I did. I doubt it would fix the issue I'm having. And Im failing to find the contact details of the manufacturer as the controller isn't really branded.

The controller does work right now using x360ce and steam but the issue I'm facing is the fact that when it's connected as "PC Gamepad" it work but most features are disabled. But when I connect it as "DS4 Wired Controller" all the features become active.

This is why I was asking if there is a way I could use to override it and prevent it from disconnecting itself and reconnecting as "PC Gamepad".

When I plug it into my PC. The PC will make the connection sound then instantly do a disconnect sound. Then reconnect again but with the name and HID changed. I was just asking if there is a way to bypass this and prevent it from disconnecting itself.