Question How to prevent the USB3.0 header coming off the motherboard?

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
How can I prevent this from happening?
IMG-0095
The header itself comes off the board when unplugging the 20-1 pin USB3.0 connector. This time it just pulled the plastic part of the header from the board. Other times some pins come with it. And sometimes it actually comes out with no damage.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
it shouldn't have come off from the motherboard.
can you rma the motherboard?
Thanks. Yeah, could do that. But why does this happen so often on so many different boards I have/have had. It's about a 50/50 chance the connectors come out clean. Is there a trick I'm missing? I squeeze the connector and pull straight out, or at most gently rock it ever-so-slightly end to end (never side to side).

Thanks. Yeah, could do that. But why does this happen so often on so many different boards I have/have had. It's about a 50/50 chance the connectors come out clean. Is there a trick I'm missing? I squeeze the connector and pull straight out, or at most gently rock it ever-so-slightly end to end (never side to side).
These are just fragile parts. They were never designed for, nor expected to see, a lot of mating cycles. What you could do is epoxy the plastic shell down.

The most troublesome aspect in your case is that pins are also coming out of the motherboard. That means they broke at the solder fillet or were never soldered in the first place. Definitely RMA your board as that is something it should not do.

Reactions: cAllen
If you're having that many boards have the issue where the connectors are coming out 50% of time it might also be time to look into a different maker/distributor/etc. as there could be faulty QA going on.

TRENDING THREADS