how to prevent videos from auto playing, and then becoming a pop up window ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
when you view an article, there is a video embedded in it, "RECOMMENDED VIDEOS FOR YOU... " it auto plays, you scroll passed it, it pops up in its own window and keeps playing, even if you pause it it when it starts, its pops up in its own window, still paused.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
i notice that after I close the little window it no longer plays, until the next page.
im looking to prevent this video from playing at all, no matter which page i view, and, prevent it from popping up in its own window, i find this "RECOMMENDED VIDEOS FOR YOU... " to be VERY annoying. seems to be only 2 or 3 videos anyway, nothing new

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is it showing on front page or forums? You shouldn't see it here, I think its just a feature of front page and I don't have any control over that area, that is run by Admin.

Is it showing on front page or forums? You shouldn't see it here, I think its just a feature of front page and I don't have any control over that area, that is run by Admin.
He isn't talking about the forum here persay he is just talking about in general going throught the web. Random articals i believe it's jist ad's on the side walls and everything i think know what he's talkong about and it's stopped on my systems when i enable adblock plus on my browsers

im looking to prevent this video from playing at all, no matter which page i view, and, prevent it from popping up in its own window, i find this "RECOMMENDED VIDEOS FOR YOU... " to be VERY annoying. seems to be only 2 or 3 videos anyway, nothing new

He isn't talking about the forum here persay he is just talking about in general going throught the web. Random articals i believe it's jist ad's on the side walls and everything i think know what he's talkong about and it's stopped on my systems when i enable adblock plus on my browsers

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
its on any articles on the front page.
take the article on the gigabyte M27Q monitor for example. the video in question "RECOMMENDED VIDEOS FOR YOU... " is just after the specs table there is a paragraph that starts with " High-contrast VA panels make for amazing ..... " and ends with " A claimed 0.5 ms response time puts it in company with most 240 Hz monitors. " then the video is right after that. for me its on ALL article pages, but doesnt always have the "RECOMMENDED VIDEOS FOR YOU... " tag above it

this is " the auto play, and subsequent auto moves to its own window " video i am referring to.

its on any articles on the front page.
take the article on the gigabyte M27Q monitor for example. the video in question "RECOMMENDED VIDEOS FOR YOU... " is just after the specs table there is a paragraph that starts with " High-contrast VA panels make for amazing ..... " and ends with " A claimed 0.5 ms response time puts it in company with most 240 Hz monitors. " then the video is right after that. for me its on ALL article pages, but doesnt always have the "RECOMMENDED VIDEOS FOR YOU... " tag above it

this is " the auto play, and subsequent auto moves to its own window " video i am referring to.
Yes try adblock plus they tend to be ads

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes, I know the ones you mean, they show in any review or article on front page
0OSFlcx.jpg

And some of the other mods would love to know how to remove them too as it is a disincentive to read the articles if there is a video showing on every page.
Due to way the front page works, our logons here don't expand to there, so while there are advantages to a large post count here removing ads on forums, they have no effect on front page.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Yes, I know the ones you mean, they show in any review or article on front page
0OSFlcx.jpg

And some of the other mods would love to know how to remove them too as it is a disincentive to read the articles if there is a video showing on every page.
Due to way the front page works, our logons here don't expand to there, so while there are advantages to a large post count here removing ads on forums, they have no effect on front page.
Ah see i have never experienced that particular problem so dont understand whats being talked about exatly here i have had the annoying issues with like the random pop up adds and things like that, that just decide hey im opening my own web page and everything but again have never had the issue again after adblock.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
Colif,
in the above gigabyte monitor example :

only with ghostery. I can't stop it, there is no way to do it from where I sit. I would love to help you but my role here only applies to forums, I am just a user like you on front page.
so there is no way to turn it off, and prevent it from doing this ??
And like he said earlier ghostery isn't really recommeded im having issues with it myself even on here MOST webiste will even tell you to disable it to even use there webpage or blah blah blah if they have things setup on it like that.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
hmmm well, i hope some one from toms sees this then, cause it is really annoying, and wish there was a way to prevent the videos from auto playing, and from popping up into their own window once you scroll passed them.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
i found a way to prevent the embedded videos from playing, at least with adblockplus, add content.jwplatform.com/libraries/* as a filter for it, no more videos. yea. found them annoying cause of how they work, and cause they pop out on to the screen when you scroll passed them. there REALLY needs to be a way to turn them off with out having to resort to adding them to ad blockers.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Status
Not open for further replies.